How can I find why the 3 year old twin girls I watch do NOT want to stop wearing diapers?

The twins were introduced to a 3 day training program about a year and half ago when they were showing signs of potty interest. I did not watch the girls then, but when I'd visit they would go sit on potty for me and usually went. Mom had a reward system which I followed....soon the girls stopped trying for anyone. And the subject was dropped. Now the girl are almost two and will tell you they like wearing diapers. And do not want to go to school. Grandma has been trying to persuade them to potty by the excitement of preschool, etc. I began part time sitting with them this week, Mom had hoped they would try for me....but I have been nicely told by the twins their intent is NOT to do this. What are some suggestions? I have been very successful in potty training children of an earlier age, but never had to train any child over 2, so I'm not sure what to do with a child (2) who just don't want to use the potty. Please help me to relieve this Mom that one day her girls will want to use the potty:)

Pam454

Asked by Pam454 at 6:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Some kids just are stubborn and take more time to "want" to go in the potty. My son would absolutely have NOTHING to do with potty training until he was 3yrs old, then one day he decided he wanted to be a big boy and has gone in the potty ever since.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• my dd didn't potty train until she was 3 1/2....we tried forever to get her to and she just didn't want to and had no interest. Even with preschool as an incentive. Literally one day she went and she's been doing great with the occasional accident here and there. I really believe that some just have to be ready....and until that time nobody's going to tell them otherwise lol
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 6:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My oldest was 3 before she was potty trained and my middle one is 2 and still isnt fully there yet.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My son was trained for poop at two but would not train for pee until 31/2. I think he was lazy. One weekend I had 4 days off and I went to Target let him pick out underwhere we went home and put them on and he never had an accident.
    he needed to go but I think he wanted me there with him not daycare? But who really knows what goes on in their minds they cant really explain to us.
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• They will get there, I promise :) Some kids just aren't ready until later. No need to waste time or energy worrying about it.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Many children do not train until 3-4 years of age. In fact, this is the national average. Girls tend to get it before boys, but just because a child is 2 and not trained doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the child or parent, it means they're not ready. And you CAN NOT force a child to empty their bladder on command, its physically impossible and often causes more stress then needed. When the girls are ready they will potty train. Most preschools say a child has to be 3 by a certain date, usually in the summer/fall, and the program then starts in the fall. If these girls are only 2 chances are preschool is over a year away, and a lot can change in a year. Let them come to you when they are ready, forcing is only going to cause problems for everyone involved.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My daughter was tying her shoes and reading long before she was out of diapers, well past her fourth birthday

Answer by rkoloms at 3:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2011