Should more citizens carry concealed weapons to ensure public safety?

Interestingly enough, this is the theory in Arizona, "more guns, less crime."

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/01/11/more-guns-less-crime

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Seems a guy cruises thrugh a stop sign, or whatever, and gets pulled over by a local policeman. Guy hands the cop his driver’s license, insurance verification, plus his concealed carry permit.

“Okay, Mr. Smith,” the cop says, “I see your CCW permit. Are you carrying today?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Well, then, better tell me what you got.”

Smith says, “Well, I got a .357 revolver in my inside coat pocket. There’s a 9mm semi-auto in the glove box. And, I’ve got a .22 magnum derringer in my right boot.”

“Okay,” the cop says. “Anything else?”

“Yeah, back in the trunk, there’s an AR15 and a shotgun. That’s about it.”

“Mr. Smith, are you on your way to or from a gun range…?”

“Nope.”

“Well then, what are you afraid of?”

“Not a damned thing.”
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• proven theory
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I agree with NP, it doesn't matter if it is home or concealed carries...the question is do you really want to "make my day"? :)
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• A gun kept loaded and readily available for protection may also be reached by a curious child, an angry spouse or a depressed teen.

Unlike a knife, rope or bottle of drain cleaner?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Can I add a weapon to ya'lls list?????? A 5 lb bag of potatoes. Yep, before I had the concealed carry I was assaulted in the grocery store parking lot...my pepper spray was in a "safe" place...but a bag of potatoes was handy. I beat the crap out of him..put him in the hospital actually. Thing is...I may not always have a bag of potatoes handy but I do have this

....and I know how to use it.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It works for me. Of course I know how to use my gun and I would not hesitate to defend myself or someone else with it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Are people going to be shooting would be rapists and purse snatchers?

You are a robber, you are trying to decide between two houses. Which one do you rob - the one with the sign on the door that says "Protected by Smith & Wesson" or the one with the sign that says "no firearms permitted"?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• She was talking about concealed weapons notpanicking,not home protection.

Wow really? Ok, analogies are too complex for this one, got it. Lets try actual stats then?

Kennesaw, GA has mandatory gun ownership and their crime rate has been minimal ever since.

A criminal is going to think twice about attacking ANYONE with a gun, and if they can't say for sure if someone has a gun or not, they are more likely to keep going and try to find someone they can be sure doesn't.  The more CCW's there are, the harder it is for them to tell.  See, analogy.  Criminals to robbers, people to houses.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Just compare the crime rates, especially homicides with Western Europe , where people are not armed to the teeth . On the contrary, more guns, more crime is quite the possibility .

Yes, please do - you'll find when you compare actual similar populations (which means a country in Europe is equivalent to small to medium sized US state), there is not more crime here than there.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

A car, hammer, and cordless drill can fit into that list as well.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 8:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2011