I feel guilty when i punish my son. He tells me he hates me.

How do I put him in time out or send him to his room without feeling like a bad parents??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You are playing right into his game of guilt, he knows all too well what gets to you...........ignore his words and stick to your guns, consistency is what makes discipline work.

Answer by older at 6:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Everybody feels that way... in our heads we know we aren't being a bad parent, it's just hard sometimes convincing our heart! I've even put in ear plugs sometimes to dull the sound of my toddler crying lol. Just tell yourself you will definitely be a bad parent if you don't dicipline them, is my advice
    cookincat743

Answer by cookincat743 at 6:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I agree. Stick to your guns. You will get there.
    janddsmama0710

Answer by janddsmama0710 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Just keep up the good work. He will thank you for it as an adult.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 6:59 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• We have all been there. Just sticck to your guns, and try not to let him see it bother yu. He does not mean it at all. After the punishment is over I used o and still do (my son is 11 now) have a discussion time of what happened, what he could have done different to make a better choice. If he wont talk balk to time out. After he can talk it out let him know its not nice to tell people you hate them and make him say sorry.
    You dont want that to become routine. My son has Adhd time out was constant, I went to a parenting class time out was recomended where ever you are even if you sit them on the floor of the store for two minutes-it works. And no talking to them while they are in there and no talking back from them! Good luck, you will be fine. You are his mommy he love you.
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• When they tell you they hate you it means you're doing the job right! Being "liked" is not part of the Mom Gig.

When mine tells me I'm mean, I tell him, "Darned right!"

Answer by gdiamante at 7:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Know that you are doing a great job and he has to learn there are consequences for bad behavior. You are doing what is right so you have a responsible child. Also make sure you spend one on one time with him and praise him when he does things right. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Oh . . . you can't blame a kid for trying to get their way! :) Just kidding. He doesn't mean it . . . . just hug him and say, "Well I love you so much, and I know you love me to." He'll stop.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• If you hated him you would let him do whatever he wants and turn into a terrible human being. By disciplining him you are showing that you love him and because of that love, want him to grow into a functioning member of society. In order for that to happen he needs to learn that there are rules and consequences for breaking those rules. He says he hates you but one day he'll have his own kids and come to you with this same question. lol. Just write it off as a little boy speaking out of anger at being caught doing wrong. He'll thank you later. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I used to tell mine "that's fine- you can hate me" and move on

as they got older it became I hate you- and it's NOT FAIR that I'm the one who is always in trouble and my brother/sister NEVER gets in trouble...sigh...

they live in the moment and it will pass. Hang in there ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2011