What would think if you had an unusual cake at a birthday party?

I'm thinking of making this "banana split cake" for my son's 1st b-day. It doesn't have any real cake in it, it's mainly graham cracker crust, pudding, bananas, cherries, whipped cream, things like that. All of my in-laws will be there and I'm worried they might be disappointed or think I'm weird that there isn't real cake. There also won't be many children there either. But I don't want to tackle making a real one this year, and i don't want to buy one because it's tradition that I make my kid's cake, and I like to make it. I just wanted something a little easier this time. What would you think if you went to a party that had a cake like this? Would you be disappointed? Or would you think it was neat?

cookincat743

Asked by cookincat743 at 6:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I've had it before- it's good!!! I don't think anyone will be disappointed.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I would love it cause its something unique

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Sounds great! I made strawberry shortcake one year for my son's birthday party. It wasn't traditional, but it was YUMMY!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I would think it was neat and different.

Answer by older at 6:59 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I think it would be great! you can always say your son just loves it and since it IS all about him... who would argue with that?
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Go for it! Its not their bday! That sounds different and fun!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I vote NEAT!!! And I'm a grandmother.
    Spicelynn

Answer by Spicelynn at 7:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I suppose you could get a mini cake or cupcake cheap to place a candle in and sing and serve the other if you're concerned. This way everyone is happy .
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 7:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• If your child will love it that's all that matters! I think it sounds great and probably a lot healthier for baby's first cake!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I think it sounds good. When I was a kid I didn't like cake and asked for the giant cookies with icing on them instead for my birthday. Sometimes it's fun to do a little something different.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 7:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2011