How was/ is the experience of having ear tubes in your child?

The doctor told me today that there is a big chance he has to put eartubes in my 2yr old boy? i want to know if for you resolve the problems, if the tubes created a new problem, or if it ieasy low maintanance procedure that makes your kid feel better.

violetlady

Asked by violetlady at 7:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Only my oldest needed tubes but he needed at not quite a year and a second set. They did everything they were supposed to and there was no maintenance involved other than check ups and wearing a band or plugs when swimming. He started getting ear infections as soon as the first plug fell out as they do when they grow.

The procedure while simple, is scary, because they put your child under and you aren't with them. They may yell or vomit or growl coming off anesthesia. Worth it in the long run though.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• try reading this...there may be other options. http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/index.html

good luck!

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My son got them at 9 months...he had chronic ear infections from 3 months on (and he was exclusively breastfed)...I even had his adjusted regularly at the chiropractor and that didn't help. The tubes were a miracle! Never had an ear infection since! He's 3 now and they have fallen out but he never needed them put back in. It was an easy procedure too! The hardest part was fasting him that morning...especially when it was a 9 month old who didn't understand why I wouldn't nurse him...he cried for so long that morning :( That was seriously the worst part.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• we were told this about dd. Instead of going for the tubes right away, we saw an allergist (two actually) to look for alternative treatments. Especially because we noticed ear infections mostly in fall but not many any other time of year. We discovered that dd has allergies and this is what was causing the blockage, preventing drainage and leading to infection. (knock on wood) we haven't had any ear infections for almost a year (since we started treating this as allergies).
    keeping in mind dd is almost 6 and this has been going on for quite a few years until we finally went to an allergist. If you are unsure about the tubes, talk to your dr about what is causing the initial blockage and a possible allergy connection.
    pioneergirl10

Answer by pioneergirl10 at 7:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My son got tubes at 13 months. Every time he cut a new tooth he got an ear infection. Once the tubes were put in the ear infections stopped. Schedule him first thing in the morning and only wake him up just before you leave. He can go there in his pj's. They can't eat or drink anything before surgery. They fell out about a year later and we had to put in another set at age 3yrs. He is now 12 and fine. We told him that if he was brave after the surgery we would take him to the "Brave Store" and get him a toy. He came out of anesthesia screaming at the top of his lungs, "I want to go to the Brave store NOW!!" The nurse told us we didn't have to wait the hour after, they just laughed and told us to go to the Brave store.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My daughter had back to back ear infections constantly so they put them in when she was just under two years old. It worked like magic. They stayed for quite a while, two years I think before the second one fell out. To this day she rarely gets ear infections, even when sick. I was soooo nervous about the procedure, but it was like 15 minutes and they were back telling me she was doing great.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 8:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Best thing we ever did. :)
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Best thing we could have done for our three year old but it hasn't really helped the baby much he still has frequent ear infections. I would definatly say try it though.
    genie744

Answer by genie744 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2011