Would it bother you

if the word used to describe someone who practices your faith was used interchangeably as an insult? Curious at the reaction to this question from earlier. Wondering if it were common to run around calling someone a "dirty, wicked Christian" or "ugly old Baptist" would people be quite so blase about it? Especially considering in other cases where religion has been perverted into an insult (take for example the use of Jew as a pejorative), why is it only some religions that are "allowed" to complain and not others?  I'm guessing most of the people crying get over it or PC gone too far would never dream of using "Jew" as a slur (at least, not without using anon).

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Who the hell knows lol. I dont take anyones words personally. Im Catholic and believe what I believe just as others do. Slurs? To me they are childish and ignorant and again mean nothing to me. I dont see why ppl take things to heart. Its not worth the stress. I never take anything personal. No matter who it comes from
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It bothers me when people think we should just "get over it". Not to mention the people who get upset because we call them out on it. Very good question
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Of course it would bother me just like it bothers me that people use "gay" and "retarded" to mean stupid.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Interesting question.
    I'm sure if the word "Christian" had another meaning, like whore, and people used it as such...there would be a HUGE uproar.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Honestly before I came to CM, I didn't really know anything about pagans or wiccans. I used the word witch and never thought anything about it. I came from a very narrow minded background. Now I do not use it, because now I know it is offensive to people. But before I didn't. Like Oprah says, when you know better you do better. Questions like these open people's minds...Good Job OP!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• " Im just saying that these jokes/analogies are meaningless"

You're assuming EVERY time a word is used, it is used jokingly.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I dont see why ppl cant accept that comparisons are going to be made. It means nothing. Im a very smart person but as a blonde its not going to insult me when I hear a blonde joke. Religion/Race/Sexuality doesnt matter. Again its just ignorance and simply a useless joke/analogy. If I say that something is "gay" it doesnt mean that I am anti gay. Im just using the term incorreclty. PPL dont always say things and actually use them by definition. IF I say that youre as dumb as a horse does it mean that horses are dumb?? LOL Im just saying that these jokes/analogies are meaningless. PPL are way to sensitive. ITs sad that thats how things are
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I honestly never thought about it, and I am not sure what I would think if Christian or Baptist was a slur. On one hand, I don't usually get upset about what I am called or how people refer to my faith.

I HOPE I would respond the way early Christians did. It was an insult to be called a Christian - 'little Christ.' Yet they took that title on and started calling themselves by that name. :)

But I think I would have a very difficult time hearing my faith used as a slur.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• You're assuming EVERY time a word is used, it is used jokingly

Actually yes. I might call someone a bitch but it doesnt mean that they are a female dog. I might call someone a string bean and it doesnt mean that they are an actual vegetable! Many words can be taken the wrong way. If it is directed negativley the so be it. Thats just the way humor can be. It doesnt always have to be taken to heart. Thats all Im saying
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• And words and adjectives are def different
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2011