Has anyone here torn their ACL??

My mom was playing softball last night and someone slid into her left shin area and her knee locked up and she fell and today its EXTREMELY swollen, cant straighten her leg, cant put any weight on it at all. shes guna get an xray but it may be a torn ACL as well...

just curious about it, anyone done this and how did it feel and what was the recovery and remedy?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Health

• I have a friend who is a paramedic and tore her ACL; she had a replacement (cadaver). The rehab took about four months.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Found out she sprained both ligaments in her knee :(
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• it sounds more like her LCL...(same thing happened to me)---from my exhusband :( Anyhow...I couldn't straighten it out...(you feel like you want to poBut p it back in place)..however, I do know that the LCL can be tolerated without surgery..however, I cant ever sit indian style or sit directly on my knee ever again fear of it going out of place again, nor do I ever sleep on my left side..(has woken up with it sort of stuck)...now the ACL is more of the "front" of the knee and will require in most cases -surgery :( Due to it's a bigger impact on what you can do. But, for me..I chose to not get surgery because I dont want to spend months not being able to do anything. now i just limit how i sit (sucks), but worth it. I also found that walking around and not sitting down helps it heal faster. Are you sure it's not the side and back of knee? If it is, that most likely will be the LCL.
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 9:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My husband did this while playing baseball in high school. He had to have surgery and the recovery was long. Of course that was 10+ years ago so technology is wayyyy more advanced!!
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 10:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It was her acl and lcl
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2011