How did you tell your boss?

I have a part-time job and I rarely see my boss. (Good, right?) Well, he lives out of state, so he only travels to where I am once every few months or so. We mostly correspond via email, text and sometimes phone calls. I know he didn't notice the last time he came into town that I am expecting, but I was showing a bit then. Well, I never got the chance to talk to him about it and now I am 26 weeks pregnant and really need to tell my boss. I have started to compose an email, but I think I am too worried about how to word it EXACTLY right. How would you put it? I am bad at telling people I am pregnant...it is awkward for me for some reason.

Blakesmommy0907

Asked by Blakesmommy0907 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Well you shouldn't feel awkward about it. No matter how your boss feels he cannot fire/discriminate against you for pregnancy, and cannot fire you for requesting maternity leave.
    With that being said, just tell him what you told us.
    "last time you we're here I really needed to tell you about something, but we never had the chance. At that time i was __ weeks pregnant. I wasn't really showing then, so I understand why you didn't notice. But I just need to inform you that I am currently 26 weeks along. Everything is going well, and the baby is great."
    Good luck.
    My boss and i were close, so i told her when i was 9 weeks...
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 8:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• maybe you should wait till next time he comes to town..have a co worker mention your pregnancy in front of him/her. tell your co worker to come up and rub your belly or something and say "isnt she just glowing!!"..lol that will break the ice for you. good luck
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• do you plan on returning to work afterwards? i would make sure you put in your letter when you will need someone to take your place and when or if you plan on returning. because your boss will need to know if he needs to look for temp or long term employee
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I actually live in a right to work state, I can be 'let go' from any job for NO reason. It happened the last time I was pregnant. I was conveniently let go from my full time job when I was 5 months pregnant, and for NO reason. I am not afraid of losing my job. I do plan on going back to work at some point, just not sure how much time I want to take off yet. Thanks for your input!
    Blakesmommy0907

Comment by Blakesmommy0907 (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Feb. 18, 2011