Got an email from my 7 y old son, I don't know what to do???

This is an email i received from my sons Teacher, i was very hurt and i didn't know how to respond. What do you guys think??? My son is 7...(crying*)

I am having a hard time seeing progress with X's behavior. It seems to me like his attitude is still just to see how much he cna get away with. I know that excessive interest in looking out for others instead of taking care of his own issues is just part of how X is, but the constant effort to find ways to misbehave is stressing me out, grinding me down, and making positive interaction with X very difficult. I am having a hard time seeing a way out of this.

Actress-mom81

Asked by Actress-mom81 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Set up a parent-teacher conference

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Have a meeting with the teacher to discuss specifics. And honestly, if it were me, I would push to have him moved into another class. It sounds like he and the teacher are not a good fit, and that isn't good for anyone. The teacher or your child.

It could be a personality clash . . .

I wouldn't get mad about it, just get him out of that class. If this is an ongoing problem, then discuss the issues with the school psychologist or principal. If it is just with the teacher, then, just graciously move on.

Hang in there . . . .hang in there . . . .:)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I would ask for a conferene and also get him a new teacher. It sounds like she is not a good match for hids personality. he is also 7 and this teacher should have more patience and have more creative ways to get kids involved, so they are not bored enough to get into mischief.
    Anonymous

• Definitely set up a conference and ask the principal to sit in. He does need to be with someone more patient.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 8:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It's no fun to hear, but on the bright side is the fact that the teacher is admitting her feelings rather than taking them out on your kid in class. Now that you have this information, call the school tomorrow and get a counselor or the principle involved, some other third party that can help you sort this out with the teacher. Make sure to forward the email directly to whoever you are able to get in touch with so that they can see exactly what came from the teacher. Then set a meeting to start working out this issue in whatever way you all deem to be best, a new classroom, or getting some extra help from your son at the school, etc. Be persistent until you are satisfied with the solution. Take tonight to be hurt and upset, but tomorrow wake up determined to get this settled for your son's sake. Teachers get stressed and have a lot of pressure and this teacher may be at her breaking point- try not to take it personally. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Save a the email and print it out for your files. Make an appointment with the school counselor or child study team. Ask to have him tested and if the counselor asks why, show them the copy of the email. I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like ADHD.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Ask for a conference to talk about this. Ask what she expects you to do to help the situation.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Your son should have never been told about this. It's between the adults.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Most definitely set up a parent teacher conference, and have a 3rd party sit in on the meeting, councilor, principal, asst. principal, just someone who's objective. Save the email and either print or forward so the 3rd party has a copy. Chances are the teacher will do this as well, but its good for you to also have a copy. Be willing to work with the school and teacher, while still advocating for your child. As an educator I understand where the teacher is coming from, treading the fine line between trying to tell a parent something isn't right, while still maintaining peace in the classroom. At the same time as a parent of a child with behavior problems, I'm fully aware how hurtful educators can sometimes be. The 3rd party will help with an objective viewpoint, but remember everyone needs to do what's best for the child, not what's best for mom's feelings. Take tonight to cry, and tomorrow to be proactive. Good Luck :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I agree he shouldnt have been told about the message. The way shewrote it seems odd as well id sf o a conderence without the child
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:07 AM on Feb. 18, 2011