How much water should my soon to be 1 year old drink?

ibelayni

Asked by ibelayni at 7:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 15 months and only drinks water occasionally. Mostly when he gets a hold of his brothers or sister's sippy cup. He is still breastfed. I do give him a sippy of milk once in a while (maybe every three days) with his meal.

With all of my children, I just gave them a sippy cup of water and would fill it as they emptied it. As long as they weren't constipated (hard pellets/stools) I figured they were getting enough water. The only time I changed my normal approach was when they were sick. I gave them a bottle of water because they would drink more from the bottle then the sippy and I wanted to keep fluids in them.

I also don't give them juice, except for an occasional treat at mealtime. They will drink the water when they are thirsty!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My son has been able to have water anytime he wants since 6 months. Like the first pp....I fill his water cup as it's emptied. At 3 years, he asks for water if I forget.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2011