How to motivate kids to clean the house

I don't want to do it my self

telina99

Asked by telina99 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I make my daughter stay in her room or force her to go outside and ride her bike or walk the dogs. Anything so the mess does not spread from her bedroom. If she does make a mess I literally stand there and talk to her while she cleans it up!
    My Daughter is 13, but is still messy at times.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 8:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Rewards, or taking away things they like if they're not helping out.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• when my children get older i will give them chores to do and i will give them an allowance. it will be based on their performance, not a 'you did it half-assed, but here's your money anyway' sort of a thing. in other words they won't get paid at all if they don't do it....they will only get a little if they do a lack luster job and they will get whatever i deem appropriate if they do a great job. it worked for me and my sister....we often did extra things to get a little extra ;)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I don't do allowance. We are a family and each member has responsibilities. As you get older you have more. All of my kids and grandkids began with some sort of chores by age 3. Putting napkins on the table is big news to a 3 yr old..but they are contributing. When they don't do chores they lose things like toys, fun time stuff, music, whatever is most important in their world. They do nopt get it back until they are done.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Work with them. And teach them how to clean
    Angeleyes08198

Answer by Angeleyes08198 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Very few people LIKE to clean. Im a sahm and I dont like to clean.... I do it because I have to. They need to do it because it is their chore. End of story.
    Anonymous