How do you recognize autism in a baby?

I'm not searching for a debate. I don't know much about autism and while I wait for answers, I'll be on Google. I just also wanted to hear from moms with real experience. What are the first signs of autism. IDK if I'm just being paranoid, but I'm a little worried about my 10mo son. He's my 1st son, but third child. IDK if it's different just because he's a boy or if there really is something to worry about. He doesn't really babble, he doesn't know how to clap or wave. My girls had these tasks mastered by this age.

Anyway, what are the first sign of autism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My 19 month old son has been on E.D.I.S (Educational and Developmental Intervention Services) since he was 9 months for his delay in communication, social ,and learning skills. His Occupational therapists and his normal Ped and I are concerned he is autstic. His Ped just had us fill out the M-CHAT (which is the simple questionnaire regarding autism) And he got referred to a Developmental Ped. Its a VERY lengthy process so the sooner you can get started on it the better. We are not even close to being done with all the testing.

But anyways I have learned that each autistic child may not have the same signs, they do not need to have all the signs to be autistic, and theres different severities of autism.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• The lack of babbling might signify a speech delay. I don't know much about the autism link.

My 13 yr old never ever babbled. Not one mama, baba or dada. He was fairly speech delayed. And if tested today might be somewhere on the spectrum, towards Aspergers. Not all children with speech delays are autistic. I would guess, but don't really know for sure, that all autistic children are not speech delayed. Check in with the pediatrician at his next well child exam. It could be nothing, he might be a man of few words.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• that might be kind of young to get diagnosed for sure. but you know in your heart when you sense something is different. especially since its not your 1st child. & boys are much more likely to have autism than girls (reason unknown). my son talked jibberish when he probably should have been talking already. (older than 10 months). he was my 1st child. i had never heard of autism, wasnt looking for it, so at 10 mo's i dont recal anything unusual to me. (he also dosent have it severly). but the 1st signs to me was the jibberish, delay in speach, & hand flapping (waving of the hands call stimming). I guess maybe a sign you could look for would be no eye contact...but my son has great eye contact (like i said, he has it mildly).you should see a Dr. who actually knows about Autism. some Dr's dont know enough & overlook it & say your child is normal. it really does sometimes take a second opinion when a child is that young...
    Anonymous

• Write down all of your concerns and bring them up with the ped to do a developmental assessment. Is he playing with toys? Crawling? Looking you in the eyes? Laughing?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• if the child has it mildly ..even at an older age you may need a second opinion. in my area they have special programs/agencies that will do a diagnosis, study on your child.. you can ask like a dhs building, (even if you dont recieve assistance) good luck
    Anonymous

• with my son his signs were hand flapping not having good eye contact regression in all skills espically language. lining up his toys in color and in category( ie all trucks going together all cars going together) things like that. didnt have any intrest playing with kids or adults. prefered to play by himself.

im not a dr though and not all children have the sames signs or symptoms. if you are having thoughts about your son being autistic your best bet is get him into see a developmental pediatrician as soon as you can. they can start diagnosing autism as early as 18 months and the sooner you get him diagnosed the better it is for the child because they can get the sevices they need.
    if you ever need someone to talk to message me . my son was diagnosed when he was 3 years old. and he is now almost 8.
    good luck no matter what the outcome may be.
    ohioautsimmommy

Answer by ohioautsimmommy at 9:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• That is really early. He may have some developmental delays. If you are concerned, talk to your pediatrician. But remember, some just take a little longer than others. I have known some babies who didn't walk until almost 14 or 16 months. But research early intervention and such too.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• no pointing by 18 months
    no tryingto get your attention to get them something,or to share something they see or hear
    overreaction to lights,sounds,smells,colors,textures

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My ds is 9 with autism. He was different from birth (after having his brother I now realize this). He didn't babble, he didn't cry to eat. If I had been the type of mother to leave him in the swing or play pen all day he would stay there. At 10 months he didn't say da da or anything. He also was particular about how things were done, like how to touch him, how and what he ate. At the time I didn't know what autism was, but I did know something was up. I encourage you to go to your ped and insist on an eval. Don't let them dismiss you or put you off. If it turns out to be nothing that's great but if it is something you'll get a leg up on the therapy to help your child. PM me if you like.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Also, I see others had stated about hand flapping. My ds did hand flap at a very early age (like 3 months old) and he clapped early and has never stopped lol.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2011