Low Platelet Count??

So, just recently, my new doctor ran a bunch of blood tests (as I vaginally bled every day for over a year, and suffer from random bruising). He checked my thyroid levels, did a complete blood count, ran some other blood tests to check the flow, span, and thickness.

Everything came back normal (and by normal I mean in the middle of where they need to be; neither low nor high). My platelet count was off, though.

My platelet (point) count was an 86, and the normal range doesn't start for a few points yet.

My doctor doesn't seem to know what it means. He has been practicing 20 years and has never seen JUST a lot platelet count (because my other bloodwork was ok!)

Do any of you know what this might mean?? Have any of you had a similar problem?

OmbreGracieuse

Asked by OmbreGracieuse at 8:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Health

• I would encourage you to continue asking your doctor about it. The low platelet count could very well have been the cause of the bruising and vaginal bleeding. There are a lot of things that could cause it . . . certain meds, bone marrow cancers, enlarged spleen, autoimmune disorders, etc. If it were cancer, your white blood cells would have also been off. Has he run an autoimmune panel and a panel to cheack you spleen and kidney function?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:59 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My mom had low platlet counts and she had non-hodgkins lymphoma. I'd be getting some second opinions. Wish you lots of luck!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2011