What is the standard of keeping your child home from school with head lice?

I know this is the subject most people dont want to talk about cuz it makes your head itch just thinking about it, but my bf's daughter came home from school with head lice, so I have been trying to find out how long before we can send her back after we got it off her head? Tried calling the school but never got an answer. So I am looking for the standard time, anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Here it is. She needs to have one treatment . .. with RID or something that actually works . . . have the nits combed out, and she can go back. Make sure that a good vacuuming of the house was done, that her clothes and bedsheets were washed in HOT water, and that her stuffed animals are closed up in a garbage beag and put in the garage for a few weeks. Retreat in one week.
    But, after the first tx, and a clear check the next day, she is ready to go back and won't spread it.
    Sorry for your BF . . . it is a big pain in the bahoony.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Until the head lice is gone. Anymore head lice is pretty rare. Pick through her hair with a comb to get them and any eggs out, check her again in a few days, and she should be okay. I would only keep her out for a day or two. Oh, make sure to wash all her bedding, toys etc ;)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 9:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• when i was young we had a plague of lice, couldn't get rid of it for about 5 years off and on. but as soon as your bf's daughter is clear of any pests she should be fine to go back to school. this biggest thing i'd worry about is making sure your house and other family members are clear of the pests.
    Ewin1313

Answer by Ewin1313 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• it depends on the treatment you used if you used commercial OTC OR Rx then it is next day if you used a more conservative approach because you dont want to expose your kid to neurotoxic chemicals it is when head lice are clear as per the school nurse check (they'll come to your car)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Good point, MELRN
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• School in my area no longer send kids home when they have lice and they are not required to stay home until it's gone. They now claim that lice is only spread from head to head contact and therefore it is unlikely to spread from student to student if the infested student just keeps their head away from everyone else.
    I disagree, but since I am not the one who makes these policies, I don't have a say in it. A friend of mine's daughter has had lice 4 times this school year and this is the first year of the policy change. She and the nurse aren't on speaking terms anymore as the last time this happened she really chewed the nurse out about this policy, especially when the nurse claimed that the don't spread that easily. Her daughter never had lice before the policy change.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It has been said, that using any product like, RID, is no longer affective on lice, because we have been using it for years and years, and lice have mutated to become immune to it. Its actually best to NOT use any product.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 9:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Just til there is nothing left in their hair.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• A good general rule of thumb is until nothing is left in the hair, but each school is different. My sister is 9 and her school's policy is clearance from a Dr. She can not come back to school until a pediatrician has looked at her head and signed a note saying she's clear. If she shows up at school without the note, which happened once, my parents were immediately called to come pick her up, they took her straight from the bus to the nurses office and never let her in class. I would keep trying to contact the school.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Thank you all for the advice. He has had a problem getting rid of these stupid nasty pests, so I suggested, as much as I don't like the idea, to shave her hair off and start all over. That ended up being our final decision, I even cleaned the entire place and washed all clothes and all bedding in house to make sure it was all done and she still had problems with them so my last option was to shave her head so we could just start all over. I hated cutting a girls hair off but we needed to do it, just to get a fresh start on her and be rid of the lice. Again thank you all, much appreciated, and btw my bf says thank you all cuz the school still isn't responding to him. He thinks its because he is a full time dad, and not a woman that is causing the schools and other places to treat him the way he has been treated but he is not giving up and going to overcome their obstacles.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2011