Working while pregnant....why is it so hard?

I am 8 months pregnant. I have applied to so many places and never get chosen because of being pregnant. I know that they may not want to hire someone who may have to be out in a month but I had this problem when I was 6 months too. If I didn't need the job or money I wouldn't apply until l I have my baby and recover. Unfortunately with the way things are I need to work. How do you handle this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• Try a temp agency. They only need people for short term assignments and the pay is good.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• it just wouldnt be a good decision for them, business wise the way they see it. if they are hiring its cause they need someone to cover a certain task in their company or a certain shift...you could have the baby anytime. then they have to find someone again. would you hire someone who wont be around in a minute (even if youre not out for really long..) they need someone to be there to do the job theyre hiring for. but i think it might be an equal opportunity thing? but they will do what they wanna do :( sad but true
    Anonymous

• While it is illegal to not hire someone who is pregnant, you need to see the employer's point of view: before you are fully trained for the position, you will be going on maternity leave, and may not come back. Keep looking, and stay positive!

There are great job hunting tips here:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837/forums/171016/General_Discussion

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It's not going to be easy. The temp agency idea one mom mentioned is a great idea. how about a place you used to work where they already know your work ethics? Or a former boss that knows you? maybe apply for part-time job as well, the employers are thinking about you leaving shortly and not coming back, meanwhile still have to pick up the medical bills, which part-time jobs would not offer anyway. I know that does not leave you in a good situation (potentially w/o insurance), but if your priority is to work first, sometimes you have to be realistic about getting a job being pregnant/showing.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I couldnt' find a job while 6 months pregnant to the time of birth either. I finally got a job 3 months after the baby was born. I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Well, speaking from the employer's point of view, if I'm trying to fill an opening right now, why would I want to hire someone who's only going to work for a month and then be out on maternity leave? And you can say you'll be back in 6 weeks or whatever but I have enough experience not to believe that's necessarily true. Going with the temp agency until after your child is born and you're ready to go back to work full-time is probably your best option.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2011