Chaos in the bedroom?

Just a like to know kind of thing;
How do you as a parent feel about televisions in the room of a 4 and 5 year old?
We gave them one, not because they asked for it, but so they can watch movies in their own room during the day and not interrupt any one else. Also sometimes they watch a movie at night before they go to bed or right as they are falling asleep. (It's always a calm movie at night btw.) They have no cable or satellite, just their DVDs. I know studies are supposed to show that having a tv, or watching one right before bed,is supposed to interrupt sleep waves, or something to that effect. lol :) Their sleep seems to be fine though.
So not that I need resolution for my young'uns, I would just like other's opinions.
Another opinion invoker;
How do you deal with mess in the kids bedroom when they go to bed?
Most of the time my babies have to clean their room or at least pick up before bed. Sometimes though it still seems to be a mess. Being that I'm OCD I believe that a messy room interrupts sleep. My boys don't seem to mind. I, however, do.
So how do you feel about messy rooms at night? Do you think it makes them sleep less deeply and restfully?

Kimeley

Asked by Kimeley at 9:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• dont think a messy room will affect their sleep. but its nice to be clean of course. & i have tv's in all the bedrooms. its just a nice thing if you like movies, dvds, or your favorite show. I grew up in a family who loved all of these things. & i turned out great! lol. my whole family enjoys movies, etc
    Anonymous

• I think it's fine to have t.v. in their rooms. I do not think a messy room disturbs their sleep though. lol i think it disturbs your sleep. :D
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 10:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• The secret to a clean room is to get rid of things. I wish it was an easy process.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I think it's fine to have a tv in their room for the reason you've described. I don't think it's okay if parents are using it as a babysitter for hours on end, but it doesn't seem you are using it for that purpose. Having them pick up their room before bedtime is a good habit to get into. It hopefully will affect them so that they'll always want their room neat when they wake up. As children grow into their teen years, they seem to get more lax about their rooms as they see their friends do it. It makes the "morning rush" more difficult, as they rarely allow enough time to get ready in the mornings. A neat room will make it easier to find shoes, backpacks, homework, etc. Sounds like you're implementing some good habits.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 10:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• For us our kids don't have tv in their rooms and as of right now both of them are sleeping in messy bedrooms,esp. my daughter.Hers looks like a tornado hit,she seems to like her room better that way because about as soon as I HAVE HER ROOM CLEANED UP SHE MESSES IT RIGHT BACK UP.:) Not sure why I clean up her room since she IS old enough to do it herself,I just like how I do it better I guess.:) My son is to young to clean up his room yet though. Sorry about the capitalization there I hit the lock button.
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 10:59 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• televisions do not belong in children's rooms at all. my opinion.
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 2:54 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• We tried a TV in the kids' room when they were 7, 6 and 5 for the same reason...so they could go in there to watch a movie during the day. It lasted a year before I took it out. The oldest would turn it on after bedtime and stay up until midnight or later watching. On school nights. That kept the other 2 awake and all of them would be cranky and tired. And they refused to keep the DVDs picked up. They would leave the discs out of the cases or throws the cases all over the room. I doubt they get another one any time soon (the girls are 10, 8 and almost 5 now and my son is 9 and has his own room).
    As for the messy...I know I sleep better in a clean room. I can not relax if my environment is a disaster. My kids don't seem to care but they are supposed to clean up their room before bed or risk being grounded the next day.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I don't believe in tv in any bedroom, child or adult, but that is my preference. As for a messy room, no, I don't think it disturbs anyone's sleep. You have your eyes shut and the lights off so you don't see the mess.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would ditch the tv and not worry so much about the messy room.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anonymous. I would ditch the television and not worry so much about the messy room.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 3:40 AM on Feb. 19, 2011