How to stop a child from biting?

How to stop a child from biting?

rosebud889

Asked by rosebud889 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it sounds bad but ive found that biting them back works. not hard enough to hurt but just to let them know how it feels and that its not a good thing. i useually just lightly bite the finger to show them it doesnt feel good. i tried everything else until my mother told me to try it and i only had to do it once. it doesnt work on every child but its worth a shot.
    Onesontheway

Answer by Onesontheway at 10:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I'll probably get down voted for saying this, but I bit back. My son is a visual learner, you can tell him no till you're blue in the face and be stern, put him in time-out, it doesn't work. He needs to understand things visually and tactilely. I told him over and over no, that hurts mommy, but he thought it was funny. He had no idea he was inflicting pain. One day I finally had enough, and I bit back. NOT hard enough to draw blood, but enough that it got the message across when you bite, it hurts. He was more shocked and appalled then hurt, but I said see, biting hurts people. When you bite mommy, she wants to cry. And now mommy bit you, and you want to cry. Lets use nice touches and give hugs, not mean touches that make people cry. He never bit anyone again after that day, and would in fact tell other people "biting ouchy, mommy cry, no no". He started instructing other children on how not to bite lol.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My niece was a biter and my sister tried everything without any success. One day I was at my Mom's and my niece was there..I was holding her in my lap and she bit me on the breast. She bit very hard and I ended up with a huge blood blister. I wasn't even thinking when I grabbed her hand and bit her back. I didn't bite her badly, not enough to leave marks but enough to feel. She started crying and said "I can't believe my CC bit me". i bawled too..but it was the last time she bit anyone.

I am not advocating biting back of course..I was a bit younger and had no kids myself when I did it.. I don't know if it was the actual bite or the fact that her beloved CC bit her back that did the trick.

I think it can be a tough thing to deal with.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• bite back.. or give em a carrot
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 10:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Some answers are here and here as well.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Don't give a toddler a carrot, that is a CHOKING hazard. Do NOT bite back, that does NOT always work, especially for a toddler that biting is developmentally appropriate for. They do not have the verbal skills to say what is wrong. A toddler bites because they are frustrated, their gums hurt from teething. They don't know it hurts or is wrong. When your child bites, FIRMLY say, "That hurts!!" and put her down or walk away. If the child is teething, give a frozen wash cloth to chew on.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Put a drop of dish soap on their tongue. Tell them if they want to do bad things with their mouth, they need to clean it up. If they don't understand verbally, they'll sure remember the taste.
    elenalee

Answer by elenalee at 11:59 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• yea my daughter bit me once and i bit her back she hasnt bit me since then
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 1:14 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• bash me if you want, but when my child bit me, and left upper and lower teeth marks on me, I bit her back HARD. yes she cried, but I made sure she understood thats exactly how it felt when she bit me. She NEVER bit anyone again.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:49 AM on Feb. 18, 2011