Help! My 6 yr old son keeps saying he wants to kill himself! I don't know what to do!

My 6 yr old son has been getting worse over the last 2 months saying he wants to kill himself,wants to die,everyone hates him, he's bad.Today teacher called & said he ran into middle of street screaming hes going to kill himself after being scolded for pushing girl into ground.I'm seriously worried about him.What should I do?Has therapist already.Dad never involved.Single 22 yr old mom here.Loving stable home.Meltdowns never happen with me,always at school.Should I switch schools?I never really liked this one to begin with.

2286mg

Asked by 2286mg at 3:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• homeschool him maybe he needs more attention from you. if i were you i would not put him back in school.
    Anonymous

• could be hereditary...not sure though. i'd check into the bio dad and see if he was/is like that
    Anonymous

• Talk to his therapist. Talk to your son. Ask him why he feels this way when he's at school. What upsets him. He may just want someone to listen to him. Definately talk to his therapist though about this. If it comes to it, the definately change schools.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Get him psychiatric care now. I wouldn't waste another minute. Just because he is 6 doesn't mean his words should be disregarded. GL!

Anonymous

• Get a new therapist and strongly evaluate the school situation. Something has happened for this child to behave that way....kids don't change their behavior for no reason.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Take him to the ER when he says he is going to kill himself. Every single time. The ER's are usually crowded, you could end up waiting hours...so wait. Then a psych doc will come down and do an evaluation. If he needs treatment then they will find a placement. If he does not they will send him back home with a follow up to your therapist. Usually this reduces the number of times that threat comes out. Let him know that every time he threatens to kill himself or kill someone else that he will go to the ER. You already know something is not normal and something is going on - that's obvious because you are seeing a therapist.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• cont..Changing schools may not solve the problem. I have seen many children with mental/emotional issues change schools and the behaviors have not changed. Just a new place to do them in. If he doesn't do them with you but ONLY does it at school my first thought is severe anxiety. But that is a guess. Also it sounds like he has several things going on: anxiety, depression, grief/loss (not having dad around, even if he never has been involved), school stressors. Your little guy has a lot going on. I would start by taking him to the ER every single time he threatens to kill himself. Its a hassle I know. Your son's therapist should have had a suicide contract in place if he has ever done or said anything like this before.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• cont...If you think your son's therapist just isn't quite getting a grasp on the situation then it is time to search out other options. But therapy does take time. You know that saying it will get worse before it gets better? Well, unfortunately when it comes to therapy and children that saying is VERY true. So it could be the theraputic interventions are working but that in order to heal he has to break down a little more. I have seen it tons of times. That isn't to say that this is what is happening here. Have questions handy for your child's therapist. Understand what her diagnosis is. Ask her. Have her explain it to you. What is involved and what is the treatment plan. Also put into the plan safety measures such as the incident today. AND DO GO TO THE ER.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• wolw that is a huge thing for such a little guy. and alot for a young mom to deal with.
    he needs this addressed NOW.the only time i have ever seen this kind of behavior in my patients( not this extreme) was in children who have been sexually abused or severe depression. eitherway he needs a full medical evaluation and psycological. i know thats hard when you are young and single and just trying to get by.
    but this is not something that is enviromental. this will not go away. and he will not grow out of it.
    i was a teenage mom as well. and my son had some emotional issues when he was younger. its stilla struggle with him sometimes. i wish wish wish i would have done more to tackle it when he was younger.
    5ontherock

Answer by 5ontherock at 7:33 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Thank you all for your advice. I'm very concerned about him. Main thing for me is the way he treats himself (banging his head on walls and everything he can find, saying he just wants to die, he's stupid, etc). I dealt with major self-esteem problems (and am still working on them) and it kills me to see my 6 yr old heading in that direction. I hate the thought of meds but maybe that could possibly help, too? I just don't know. I have decided to take him to a psychologist, though and plan on getting him in ASAP. Does anyone have experience with kids this age on meds? Am I crazy or is this really a bad idea (to put a 6 yr old on meds)? I have always hated drugs. But I just want to help my son in any way I can. I am seriously scared about his self-esteem issues.
    2286mg

Answer by 2286mg at 10:27 AM on Nov. 19, 2008