Can someone please help me with advice here...

Our 6 yr old dd asked us for a wooden swing for Summer this year but there is no way we can afford one right now so we explained to her that mommy & daddy don't have the money to get her one right now & ever since then she has been acting up bad...not listening, screaming, saying she doesn't like us, etc...what can I do???

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Show her a picture of a Dodge Charger (Or some other fancy car) & say mommy & daddy really wants one of those but you cant afford it. Then tell her even tho you are disappointed about not getting what you want, you are still very happy about the things you do have. Point out all the blessings in your lives- your family, your home, her toys, etc. Tell her she can go to the park to play on their playground - but only if she earns it by behaving like a grateful child should. But when she acts ungrateful or spoiled, she will not get to the park to play on their playground & may even lose a toy or 2 until she can learn to appreciate them & her parents for all that you do for her. Nip this now before she becomes a teen who feels entitled --GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Well I guess you could run in debt and buy her what she wants or you can be consistent and loving. Take her to the park to swing. Find alternatives.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Ride it out. You know you can't give in. I would explain again that you don't have the money, and come down hard on pushniments.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Don't feel guilty and give in to her tantrums. Be firm and consistent. My children have a nice play set in the back yard, but they still prefer to go to the park, lol.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It's hard. I am with the other mom's. Take her to a park or have a friend over. It's your guilt, the kid will forget soon enough.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I´m a mean mommy. I would start taking away stuff... so that she learns to be grateful for what she HAS and not for what she DOESN´T have... Also, if you volunteer someplace, take her to see just how priviledged her life is... even 6 year olds understand... I took DD with me when my workmates and I went to paint a public school (I live in a third world country)... she helped us paint, and she asked why the school was in such bad state (we did get the school a new roof and new bathrooms, but the bathrooms weren´t done yet at that time).... I told her that our country is poor and cannot afford to have better schools, and that kids that went to that school had to put a lot more effort into learning than she did, what with the facilities being rundown, and them sometimes not even having enough to eat at home, and def no new backpacks or coloring pencils or stuff like that ....after that, she was grateful for HER school
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 10:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Times are hard for just about everybody. Like tootoobusy said this is what parks are for. She will get over it. Good Luck
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I agree with the others, you can't give in. Rewarding good behavior with a trip to the park is great, make a picnic lunch, go on adventures to try out parks you haven't been to, etc.
    Keep an eye on Craigslist, though. You may get lucky and be able to get her one.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 11:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Don't give in. She'll get over it. She needs to learn some of the hard facts of life, one of them being that money doesn't grow on trees. If you go into debt and buy her the swing, she'll learn that she only has to throw a fit to get what she wants. That's a good way to raise a spoiled, entitled brat. I'd start taking her toys away everytime she throws a fit and make her EARN them back so she learns how to be grateful for what she has.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Let it ride. She doesn't understand about finances. She has no concept of money and how much things cost. When she is being rude, IGNORE the behavior and tell her that when she uses a 6 yr old voice, you will talk to her. You don't need to take things away from her. If things keep getting taken away she could get scared that there won't be any food, clothes, a home, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2011