My boss. is. hitting. on. me. AAAAAAAAAAH

childish right? NO ITS NOT. i'm pregnant, and i have two children, and my Director is hitting on me. Once after a conference meeting, he hugged me randomly. i thought it was just casual, but i felt his hand going up my shirt. CRAP, i've been avoiding him, and all that stuff, but he's still doing it. what should i do?

mannyperry

Asked by mannyperry at 10:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• The technical answer is report him to HR. Sexual harrassment should not be tolerated. But the reality is you work with this person, he may be well-connected, so you may suffer the consequence professionally (not fired, b/c you are double protected - women and disabled). But it's in the work environment, there are many ways people can box you out, and you don't want that. My suggestion is (a) talk to him in private and ask him to stop (in a nice way). Frame it that he probably doesn't mean it, but it's making you uncomfortable - and simply state this is between you and him. now he's indebted to you; AND (b) do you have a trusted mentor at work? Tell this individual but make it clear it's YOUR decision to make only. YOu are eliciting his/her opinion, but utlimately you make the decision to go to HR or not (in this case my advise is no). Rememeber there's a technical answer, and there's a practical answer.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Some men find pregnant women to be sexy but that is very unprofessional on his part.

Talk to HR about his sexual harassment.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Report him.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Document and report immediately. Do not be anywhere with him alone.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i feel that if I report him, my status will go down :|
    mannyperry

Comment by mannyperry (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Yikes! Let him know that it makes you uncomfortable and you wish he would not do that anymore. If it continues I would speak with your HR Dept.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• do you feel comfortable approaching him?
    Alex831

Answer by Alex831 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Is there an HR department? File a complaint, then protect yourself by filing a Federal complaint:  http://www.eeoc.gov/

Answer by rkoloms at 6:37 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Just know that if you do report him, you are protected from retaliation, not only by law, but by whatever company policies you have in place (and they are required to have some by law). I'm really sorry that you're experiencing this!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Sexual harrassment and assult are not to be tolerated it is 2011 now and you have a case.I had afreind who's employer made a comment about her to another and she sued ,got over 10 grand for a comment only.You cannot let this sleeze get away with it.I suggest you go for the jugular .Inform him after you record him of course ,and he will leave you alone.Please report this or he probly is doing it to all ladies.You should claim mental cruelty due to you are expecting and you are worried for your position at work,do something,please do not do nothing.Good luck.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 5:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2011