How to give constructive criticism ?

DH and his friend wrote a screenplay and they gave it to me to read and said they want me to be totally honest and tell them what i think...I HATE it...I don't know what to do! There are SOOOO many things that i feel are wrong with it and i am really worried about DH being upset....anyone have any advice on how to deal with this in a way that hopefully he will not be to upset about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• My husband is always asking me to read his work for school. I found the best thing to do is start with the positive. Is there anything that you do like about the play? Is there something that a particular target audience would like about the play? After you go over a few positives, tell him that it does need some work. Give examples and suggestions. What is their goal with the screenplay? Help him find the resources he needs to go the next step. Be supportive.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Also, when you go to the negatives, start with: I think it would be better if you did XYZ instead of ABC...or .... I think I would find it more engaging if character Y did X instead of doing Z....
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 10:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Sandwich criticism.
    First tell them something good you liked.
    Thenn say something negative, and offer advice on how they could fix it.
    And end with a good thing again.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 10:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2011