This one's weird. I have to get a colonostomy and I have heard it is no big deal, but

I heard that it makes you sick for days and is very painful. Does anyone know so i know what to expect? I know everyone's different but some idea would be nice. thanks

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 10:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Health

• I have had two and about to have a third. The first one I was sick the night before because of the medicine they have you take in advance.
    The second, I did not have this problem. The procedure was not painful. Completely numb. No after pain at all.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Thanks so much tootoobusy, i wasn't worried until someone told me i would get really sick and a lot of pain. i don't know why people do that.
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• If it is done right there is no pain whatsoever during the procedure. The worst part is the prep the day before. You have to drink a bunch of this stuff that will make you crap your brains out. Your diet that day will also be restrict from several weeks to several days before hand. The put you under do the scope and you go to recovery. You have to have someone to drive you and you go home a few hours later. Afterwards you will be very sleepy. My husband and I both slept the rest of the day practically. Some people do have a lot of gas afterwards, that is normal. If you can't pass the gas that can get uncomfortable. Lay on your ride side if possible so it can move more freely. Before you leave the Dr will tell you and your attendant what they saw. If the took any biopsies and when to follow up if need be.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Thanks Grandma, sounds like you've done this. You guys made me feel a lot better!
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• You will be fine. I've had two of them. The worst part is indeed the day before. The day of the procedure, they give you enough drugs that you don't care what is being done to you. The important thing after is to get that gas out of your colon and advance your diet as tolerated. Both of my colonoscopies involved clear liquids the day before the procedure and nothing by mouth after midnight. I had to drink two fleets phosphosodas and take a few dulcolax tabs. Just be near a toilet at all times. The worst part for me was the prep and the gas afterwards.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Thanks Izsarejman, any suggestions on how to get rid of the gas fast? lol They are putting me to sleep so they can remove a couple or so tumors on my legs.
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Ive had to do this once..My experience- I had to drink this stuff for 48hrs & it "cleaned me out" totally! You will want to have a bathroom VERY close at all times! The morning of I had to give myself an enema-not fun. Then when I got there "just incase" they wanted me to give myself another one!! (umm i hate pooing in public! lol)...
    They put an IV in my arm (for me it was hard cuz my viens wanted to roll & was small). Then i got put on a table, on my side, and had to bend my knees a little.. I woke up & all was over. I seen a picture of my colon (ya "soo exciting" i tell ya! maybe i shoulda framed it?!)..
    Back at home I was weak for the rest of the day but was good. My stomach felt brand new & amazing from the clean out though! For that alone- it was kinda worth it!
    Good Luck! Hope all goes well!
    (id rather have a colonoscopy than visit the dentist!)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• the worst part is the laxitives you have to take , believe me ,,, after that , no pain , no problems , i was put to sleep , so when i woke up in recovery i didnt remember a thing , i was asleep , it was eaisy , no big deal.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:10 AM on Feb. 18, 2011