Does every mom feel this way? Or is this crazy?

I've got two kids under two, one 22 month old, one 6 month old. I've been a stay at home mom for nearly the entire two years, my husband works nights. So I'm with them alone frequently. Normally I do not mind. I feel lucky to stay at home with my kids, I know a lot of working moms want to be at home. But recently I feel like I'm getting really stressed, like I have no breaks, and like I'm kind of going crazy. Does this mean I NEED to go back to work? I feel guilty to be honest, thinking of leaving them all day. Is that a normal feeling too, the guilt? I just don't want to tell my husband how crazy I'm feeling but I need some insight into what I'm feeling. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, it doesn't mean that you need to go back to work. It means that you need to have some time to yourself. I feel like that at times as well. My kids are 1, 3 and 4 (I had three kids in 33 months). Now that the older two are a little bigger I find my self feeling not getting stressed or going crazy. You need to tell your dh how you feel and let him know that you just need a couple of hours to do nothing and get out of the house. If he can't because of his work schedule, it is probably hard since he works night, get a sitter and go out. Once in a while I just go to the local coffee shop and read a book. Sure, I could try going into my bedroom at home to read but I know that I will get interrupted even with my dh there to handle everything. I promise, it does get easier as they get older.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• EVERY mom needs a break! Maybe get a part time job and work a few hours... i work four hours almost everyday... and it really helps keep me sane. You dont HAVE to go out and get a job either.. maybe just make time for yourself a couple times a week.. or even everyday!
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 10:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• no just get out and be active with them.. join a storytime or find musuems join a moms group make freinds have playdates enjoy the short time you have with them . im also a stahm and planning to be till they start school good luck breathe
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 10:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Do you ever get to have a day out without them while they stay home with your husband? Maybe you should start getting together with a friend once or twice a month and leave the kids at home with dad. Do you go to any playgroups or anything like that where you can chat with other moms?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I'm a sahm too. my 4yr old goes to school but i have a10mo old at home. I love her and its great to see her do things but i WANT to work. I get so bored and i just don't enjoy myself. lately i have been resenting my husband some bc he does work and interacts with adults. mY husband gets upset bc he has given me this opportunity and can't understand WHY i want to work! I too, feel terrible guilt because of it, I love my children, I just need more adult interaction.
    coreym

Answer by coreym at 10:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• You are very normal and just need some time to yourself! I was laid off 6 months ago and thought it was a great opportunity to stay home with the little ones. ( 6 yr old and 1 yr old) But there are days when I miss work, not so much the job, but just the time out of the house on my own. I just make sure to find a few hours every now and then to get away and out on my own..
    jd72

Answer by jd72 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• You need a break. I went back to work so I can have a chance to eat with 2 hands, without interruptions, and go to the bathroom without someone following me. Although I still have to deal with a lot of babies (trapped in big-people bodies) at work, but at least I can just shut the door to my office and pretend I am on a very important call.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I was a SAHM for 5 years and I went back to work a few months ago. I feel so much better and I enjoy being around my kids more. Being a SAHM is not for everyone. We need to interact with other people and do things for ourselves.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I felt guilty when I went back to work for a few months.... but you will get over it! It feels so good to have some time to be around other adults... GL! and don't feel bad!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Totally normal! It will pass. Make sure you are getting some time to yourself away from the kids at least once a week, even if it's just going for a walk, or shopping for household needs at target. I have had times where I have had full on fantasies of getting up and going to work. Of dropping the kids off at daycare and going back to bed. It's normal, not selfish, and totally okay.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 10:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2011