Holding a newborn to much?

My little guy is 4 weeks old and Loves to be held!! I have no problem holding him all the time but I'm starting to notice that he would rather be held than put down or even put in his swing. I know they say that a newborn cannot be held to much but have any of you had this issue too? I just don't want to be starting any bad habits. I still feel like he is to young to let him really cry yet, I've read over and over to not let a newborn cry because they are usually always crying for a reason. Any tips would be great! Thanks :)

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that's pretty typical of any newborn, most don't care for the swing. at least none that i have seen until they are little older
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• He may be seeking some kind of sensory input. He may enjoy the swing, being wrapped up tightly in a blanket, or a soothing sound. It may also be reflux, this can be worsened by laying down.
    mconnoll

Answer by mconnoll at 10:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Get a sling or wrap if you need to get things done. There is nothing whatsoever wrong about "spoiling" a baby by holding it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• remember your son was being held 24/7 while you were caring him so even if you are holding him 12 hrs a day he is still getting "jibbed" as a friend put it the other 12 hrs. they go through this phase. My son was like that at his age and he is 6months old now and plays perfectly sitting on the floor with out me right there. Just hold that baby boy and love him cause next thing you know he's gonna be running everything where and your gonna miss these moments!
    Granolamama3795

Answer by Granolamama3795 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Theres nothing wrong with holding you baby it makes you and them feel better.. But if the only way they will let you do anything is by holding them then try this
    http://www.pregnancystore.com/zaky.html

Im not sure if it will work or not but its worth a try
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• For me i thought it was important to hold as much as needed. for 9mo she was in my body. held at all time... a baby goes from a nice warm, comforting, perfect place to a bright, cold, unknown world.. I think id want my mommas arms too!
    My daughter has always been held when needed- breastfed-coslept as a baby.. She is very independant! Not at all stuck to my hip. She never went through the phase of not wanting to leave my sight. -- She always easily went with family members places.. or let me leave without a cry...age 1-2 she could go 2 days before the "i want mommy" started.. now at 4 she goes about 3-4 days (shes only been away 3 days most- maybe 4 days once -- all going to her grannies house)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My DS was held pretty much constantly until he was about 5 months old, he even co-slept (did that till he was 2 1/2). He started reading at 3, has been in Karate for a year and a half, and had no issue standing up in front of our church to read scripture at 6 years old. He has no fear going to sleepovers without me or DH, not even when he spent two nights with my aunt at 20 months old. So from my POV, there really is no way to think that it is going to delay the kid academically, physically or socially. It worked for my DS and he's turning out pretty freakin' awesome if you ask me..
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 10:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• You can never hold a baby too much, no such thing. They're only little once, cherish it while you can. That being said however, it will not in any way hurt your child to cry. Mother's have to shower too, and if your newborn cries the entire time you're in the shower, its going to pull on your heart strings way more then its hurting your baby. Some infants have too much internal energy, and they cry just to get it all out. Or it could be gas, or a bright light that startled them, or a noise they find unfamiliar. Whatever it is its OK for your baby to cry, its going to happen millions of times throughout their life. Hold him while you can, get a sling to help with housework, and if you need a break, or shower, remember every single baby cries, its completely normal.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My son son 6 weeks now and loves to be held! I'm a stay at home mom so when I'm not getting house work done he's in my arms. When I put him in his bouncer he does pretty good but he much rather be held. He also is a Beastfed baby. When he feeds he usually tends to fall asleep.. when I go to put him down he wakes up and wants to be held and rocked.. I've been trying not to hold him as much .. to "break the bad habit" but I'm realizing I need to cherish getting to hold him and take advanage he can't walk yet. Ill hold him till he wants to start exploring the work with out being wrapped in mommys arms. I'm hoping that day doesn't come too soon!
    juliansmama1231

Answer by juliansmama1231 at 11:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• You cannot hold a baby too much. You can not "spoil" a baby by over loving.

I really liked a Moby wrap for the tiny stage. I could tie my DD to me and then do the dishes, watch TV, fold laundry, go to work. I even gave a few public speeches with my DD tied to me. She slept so well when she was close like that. And it was great for keeping up my milk supply.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:12 AM on Feb. 18, 2011