I started researching SIDS this evening (how to prevent) and it makes me so sad. I don't know how I would ever handle something like that happening to my child. I find myself getting really worried about SIDS every time I lay my little guy down. It is so hard to really relax when I'm constantly checking my little guy to make sure he is still breathing. Is this silly that I go in and check on him constantly to make sure he is breathing? I was the same way with my daughter too.

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I haven't gotten to this stage yet, so I don't know much about what's "regular" but I definitely understand you concern! I would be scared too.

Answer by angelm523 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• They have pads you can buy that sense if your child is breathing, and an alarm will sound if they stop, alerting you, and possibly scaring your child to breath again.

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• SIDS is sad and many parents have this fear:(

Answer by hill2 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• my mom used to do that.... sis, too...and I did, too. you are not alone!

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 10:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I did this with my first two babies for probably about 8-9 months. Constantly checking on them. Maybe I was crazy, but it made me feel better to do it. I'm sure I will be doing it with my little guy too after he's born. You're not alone, heck even my husband did it.

Answer by Nanixh at 11:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I checked on my son constantly. I refused to read the literature, because I knew it would make me more paranoid. But I still laid my hand on him several times throughout the night to make sure he was still breathing. I can remember laying in bed and just randomly getting a weird suspicion, and I couldn't calm myself until I got up and checked on him, even though I had a video monitor. I think every mother worries and you're not crazy for the constant checking.

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Did it with both..I still do lol

Answer by socalikim at 1:19 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Breastfeed exclusively, cosleep, don't smoke when pregnant or around baby, don't lay baby on stomach, etc. Those are the major factors in preventing it.
    I think it's a natural reaction from mothers to be paranoid about their babies. I think it's built into us.

Answer by Blue_Spiral at 1:42 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• has a monitor that will beep if the baby goes 15 sec without moving (breathing) you might look into that so you can relax a little bit.

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:25 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I've never met a mother who DIDN'T do that. I STILL do and my son is years past SIDS risk. But then, I do it with my husband and my dog as well!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2011