Im in a difficult situation here

ok i just turned 18 in september, and im not in school anymore,i got pregnant in november and my dad is on my ass to go back to school so ill be on his medical....the thing is adult schools wont let me register till my class graduates in june....im due august 8th

i was reading something that i can still be on my dads medical until im 26 in california...or does that only apply if im going to school....i dont know what to search for so any comments are helpful

my other option is i can go apply for medical on my own (which i plan on doing if im not on my dads medical anymore)but if im still on my dads medical ill be able to get 2x better care then im getting already

please dont be rude..im already stressed about this whole thing :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• check to see if it covers online schooling. you could do that full time around taking care of yourself. it will help give you an education that you will need to help take care of the baby and keep you on the insurance. if all else fails, the state will give you coverage.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I can't remember the age, but my youngest son is still on our medical and he's 21. He doesn't go to school and the age increase has nothing to do with whether or not you're in school. You can google it and find out that way. But, until they tell me he's not covered I'm leaving him on my plan.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• The age changed to 26, I think. Have your dad put you on his. You are also eligible to WIC and healthy families in CA. They will cover your pregnancy expenses. Worse comes to worse, you can take an online course from University of Pheonix, so that you will be a "student".
    You can get alot of good info by calling your local planned parenthood. They also monitor pregnancies.
    If you are in CA, you can call 211. That is the social service hotline. Talk to them about what you need, they may be able to get you a referral.
    Good luck.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• thank you...and one of my older friends found an article for me that stated im on my dads medical till im 19 out of school and until 26 when i become a student again

thank you for the nice comments iv been getting a lot of shit for this from random people iv asked
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• You can get private coverage but this pregnancy may not be covered because there is usually a one year waiting period on that sort of thing. Plus, it is very expensive for any decent coverage. I hope you find an answer soon!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Good luck, glad it sounds straightened out!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 3:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I had my dd on my dad's insurance. i was in school but i want you to check into this when you call the insurance company. I was covered on my dad's insurance but the baby as not. So they covered prenatal care and delivery but once she was born then we had to pay the babies bill seperately. It was a few thousand dollars. Im not saying its bad to be on your dads insurance, just dont want you to be surprised. You may be able to get the baby covered by medicaid after birth. Good luck!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• The article your friend found is out of date. According to Obamacare you can be on your Dad's medical until you turn 26 even if you are not a student. It started Jan 1. We put our 25 year old daughter back on. She had been off for 3 years. Your dad needs to call his employer and ask about the details. They have known about this since last spring and should have signed you up during open enrollment last fall. It wasn't advertised very well.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 4:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• if you have low income you can get medicade which is completlly free.
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 4:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• well i went to the clinic today to get my 15 week downs testing blood test and ultrasound and everything, they wouldnt even look at me unless i had my own medical....it pissed me off....so now i have to go to some social worker to talk about getting my own medical.....which scares me1 i hate social workers and 2 cuz my dad makes not a lot of money but enough to where i might not be eligible for any medical -.- im so confused.....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2011