A smart phone that will do everything from starting your car, to doing your laundry.

Life in 2020: Your smartphone will do your laundry

You wake up and check your smartphone. It tells you to wear your blue suit because it knows you have a meeting, and it correctly guesses that your gray suit is at the cleaners, because your home's RFID sensors aren't picking it up.

You make tea, like you do every morning, so your teapot sends a signal to your phone, which texts your children that you made tea, letting them know that you're doing fine.

Since your home knows you're brewing tea, it thinks that now is a good time to remind you to take your pills. It sends a message to your phone, you take your pills, and your pill bottle sends a message to a wireless hub that you took them. That's available now: On the Mobile World Congress expo floor, AT&T showed off the Vitality pill bottles that send data over its network. If you forget to take your pills, your pill bottle can e-mail you a reminder.

As you're preparing to leave, your smartphone tells you to wear a coat, because it's cold outside, and it tells you to get a move on, because the traffic is bad on the highway. Since your home knows your typical routine, when you close your door, your lights automatically turn off, your shades go down, your thermostat turns the temperature down and your car starts up.

Your car tells you to take the local streets because of bad traffic on the highway. And since it knows you were up late last night (your TV said you were watching Leno -- who's still on in 2020, by the way), your car orders your regular latte at a Starbucks along the way. As you approach your meeting location, your car reserves a parking spot for you at your local garage.

cool? scary? what are your thoughts?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Mostly scary. But it's coming regardless!
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• While we may have the technology for this, it won't be everyday life for your average person. Only a select few would be able to afford this.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• scary!!
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 11:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• That's incredibly frightening, that's not just your smartphone in action, that requires your house and everyday household items, like a pill bottle, to be re-wired as well. Sounds like something science-fiction novels are based on, or Disney's movie Smart House. What happens when an electrical bug screws with the wiring, and now your house won't let you open the door or windows. Or people create viruses not only for your computer, but your vehicle as well. Nope, not a good plan if you ask me.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:15 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

I remember the 80's when CD'S came out and nobody thought it would be a hit.....I remember when the sell phones with camera's came out and nobody thought it was a good idea because you needed others to have a camera as well.

this technoligy will happen and people will eat it up and people will forget how to think and fend for themselves...we are being programmed into become dummies basically and easier to control our food is laiden with MSG which is a nuero toxin and when pregnant women eat foods with MSG it messes with the brain of the unborn, growing baby. that is why we have an all time high of children with various behavior disorders. I could go on and on
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Wheresthewayout, yes and they also predicited that flying cars would be owned by nearly every family by the year 2010.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:22 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It will just make people lazier and more dumb and mindless than they are already . I am already amazed at the number of cm moms who say they couldnt live without the intermet and cellphones and TV. So much constant trivial babble coming out of all three I have got rid of my cell phone and we watch very little TV. Have to keep the computer though for the family business .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:35 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I think it sounds absolutely ridiculous.More dumbing down...less thinking Americans.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:07 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It sounds scary. Who is programming the smart phone? And who else can eavesdrop on the programming?
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:59 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Sounds VERY annoying. I hate smart phones. I have a normal cell phone. It does have a camera and internet capable but only for the provider's website. I don't even use it for that. I use the camera for new wallpapers on the phone and maybe a cute pic of my cats/dog when I don't have my REAL camera handy.

Admittedly, first thing I do when I sign on is check FB and CM, but I don't care or even think about when I'm offline. Definitely don't "tweet" every two seconds! 

Aside from that, I don't need a damn phone to tell me what to wear!! I certainly don't want the damn thing to send texts about what I'm doing!! "SW just went to the bathroom!" I think NOT!!

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2011