NON spanking discipline ideas. This is NOT a debate.

My Juvenile Law professor is asking for a list of non spanking discipline ideas. I have a list started but she wants as many ideas as we can come up with. She is a spanker and wants to learn other ideas.

This is not a debate, bashing will NOT be tolerated. This isn't about who believes in what, it is about making a list.

I appreciate the help.

Asked by tyfry7496 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ok. adding to your list of alternatives-not listing what I do. setting up expectations in advance and laying out the consequence in advance. Time outs, Taking away a toy, taking away television priviliges, bribery, mimicking actions (the child cries and takes a temper tantrum and you take one too), isolation (tell the child they are wrong and then ignore them for a period of time)
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I use redirection, time-outs, removal of privileges/and or toys depending on the age, and sticker charts (positive reinforcement). My mother was a fan of grounding, but my son's only 5 so we haven't reached that point yet, and I'm not sure I'm ok with it to the extent it was used on me. I spent most of my teenage years until I moved out grounded for things like forgetting to flush the toilet, or not finishing the dishes in time.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I would recommend a book called Scream Free Parenting.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My daughter is only 2 1/2 and honestly, time outs don't really work at this point...not yet. Redirection is a big one that works for me. I also use a strategy that I'm not sure what it would be called.........maybe guilt trip? I know that sounds awful, but it really isn't. When my daughter isn't listening or is behaving badly.....I make a sad frowny face and look down. It upsets her that I'm upset and she immediately tries to correct the situation. The same goes for me..if I unintentionally upset her (she's very sensitive), I always make sure to tell her that I'm sorry. I always let her know that her feelings are important and empathize with her, all while telling her that sometimes just because she feels a certain way, doesn't mean that she can behave a certain way. It works for us. My daughter is a very sweet. loving and considerate little girl.....so I must be doing something right.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My pediatrican suggested a 3 step process. 1) Immediately, seriously but calmly make it clear that the behavior is wrong. 2) Quickly redirect. If the kid is still stubbornly refusing to take the redirection after 2-3 rounds of this, then go to step 3) Time out.

This should work for young kids. When they get older... well, I haven't gotten there yet. But there is a great book called "Setting Limits With Your Strong Willed Child" where he gives you a different process that is designed for older kids.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:32 AM on Feb. 18, 2011