Do you need to bring a birth certificate for a child when flying?

Does anyone know if I need to bring my child's birth certificate with me when flying with my one year old?

ambie1983

Asked by ambie1983 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Travel

• I did with my daughter but they never even looked at it but that was 5 years ago.
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I've flown with my son plenty of times, and was NEVER asked for a birth certificate.
    However, if your kiddo's going to be a lap baby, MAKE SURE that they have "lap child" listed on your ticket. If not, ask at the counter at your gate. You need to have your kiddo listed on the "flight roster" just in case, god forbid, anything were to happen, so they know your baby existed.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• No, but if you are traveling internationally, the baby will require a passport.
    Anonymous

• Ok thanks. I will probably still bring it just in case. But wasn't sure if that and a SS card was required.

ambie1983

Answer by ambie1983 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Yes you need the birth certificate -- especially if the child looks nearly two. I've taken two flights in the last year and needed it both times, and I was told to bring it for our upcomming flight next week. If you're unsure call the airline. American asked for it, so did SouthWest. I don't know if they always do, or if its just to verify she is really under age 2.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:13 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I would bring one if the child looks like he/she could be 2. They will charge you if you have no proof of the age of the child. But you could also use his/her immunizations card for that as well.
    Christiansmom17

Answer by Christiansmom17 at 1:27 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• if baby looks close to 2, by any stretch of the imagination, bring it. if they end up questioning the child's age and you don't have proof, you'll have to buy a ticket. so much easier to just take a copy in case! and make sure s/he's listed as a child on lap on your ticket.

and i recommend bringing the carseat to the gate w/you, just in case there's an empty seat on the plane and you're able to get next to it. you never know. and it's so much easier to fly w/a kid when they're in their own seat! they won't charge you for using it, since it would have been empty anyways. just be sure to make yourself known to the flight crew when you get to your gate. tell them you're going to gate check the carseat unless there's room on the flight. and see if they can tell you in the plane's full or not.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 9:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• if you go outta the country yes, otherwize you dont need it.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• We were told to bring my son's but I think it is just to prove the age of the child. If your toddler is fairly tall, they probably will want proof that he's not older than the age group his ticket is listed under...
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 1:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2008