Tanning Beds bad if TTC??

My fiance and I are TTC, but he and I both have just joined the tanning bed because we are white as ghosts, well, at least I am. Does it lessen our chances of concieving? If so is it me that should not be tanning or the both of us?

arkelly2188

Asked by arkelly2188 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Tanning beds are ALWAYS bad! I don't know what it'll do to you chances of pregnancy, but it certainly increases your chances of cancer. If you really feel pasty, buy one of those lotions that gives a little color per application...this way you get a little color without the possible splotches of self tanner.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I am not sure about the fertility part, but I do know that you are suppose to be in a tanning bed during pregnancy and since you are ttc that means at some point there is a possibility of you being pregnant so I would't use them right now. As bridget said the have lotions and stuff you can use and that is your best bet.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Tanning beds are bad period. You are TTC and want to be best parent right? You cant do that if you contract skin cancer out of vanity.

I don't know if it would decrease fertility, probably not, but really I don't know. I wouldn't go that route though. I would do the self tanner or even get a spray tan maybe if you can afford it and its important to you.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• sorry aren't supposed to be not are
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Actually the mega dose of Vitamin D you get will aid fertility. But you can get that from 10 minutes sitting on your front porch in shorts and a t shirt.

If you are going to tan, you should only do it for a few minutes at a time. Like 3. It will take you forever to get tan looking this way, but it is safer than soaking up a 8-12 minute cancer session.

The tanning lotions are way super bad for you and are bad for pregnancy and TTC. they are filled with petrochemicals
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:07 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Tanning beds are bad news. Think of putting a piece of white bread in the toaster, then burning it and scraping off the burnt part--when you use a tanning bed, that's what is happening to your skin. You can't scrape off all the burnt part, some remains.

There are many great self-tanners on the market, that will not cause harm to either you or your baby-to-be in the making!
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 1:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would assume it is very bad for him. Men shouldn't wear briefs or go in hot tubs, heat is bad for the sperm. So the heat from the tanning bed would be bad.
    isabellem

Answer by isabellem at 11:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I wouldn't chance it
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 6, 2011