Preteen anxiety

Has anyone had a preteen or middle schooler suddenly start to suffer from anxiety, when the child has always previously been confident and balanced?

What was it like? How did you help? How long did it last?

SandyHack

Asked by SandyHack at 12:14 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• anxiety is common for kids that age. it can last all through middle and high school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Be supportive but above all, don't pressure him/her into activities/ interests and don't load the child with your expectations and your values . . If there is a cause , clearly you would like to be able to help but don't interrogate the child . if it persists , consult a dr. as child anxiety problems are becoming very common , partly due to high expectations of over-protective parents .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:15 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I totally agree with Janet, alot of preteen and teen anxiety comes from parents putting too much pressure on their kds. Each child is different and we need to let them grow into adulthood at their own pace.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 7:37 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I think it's pretty common. Let her talk, and just listen and be supportive, and let her know it's normal.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Well, I can say with certainty that I would not be an overprotective, pushy parent. We've strived for laid-back lives where the children ask to be put in activities vs. been signed up for them...and only one activity a time, at that. We spend our summers at home, enjoying the outdoors, not running around. And bed times are early, so they get plenty of rest. Right now the only activity that my daughter is in is handbells, one night a week for 20 minutes...and she begs for it.

I do appreciate all input, but it is beginning to sound as if I'm accused of being overbearing, so I thought I'd put my 2 more cents in ;)

My daughter will be seeing a counselor tomorrow. We've exhausted all other ideas...meetings w/ her teacher, talking to other parents, addressing any issues of bullying or worries about schoolwork, etc. The teacher said this often happens once a school year with at least one student, usually a result of hormones...idk
    SandyHack

Comment by SandyHack (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Feb. 20, 2011