• In the Spotlight:

Entertaining a 5 month old...

I am going crazy! I don't know how to entertain her. I try walks, floor playing, book reading, singing, jumper, etc. but she is just not easily entertained for very long. I am bored staying at home too but I think she is even more bored. She whines all the time. I don't know what else to do. I don't have a car so I can't drive us anywhere and she is too young to walk around and play. Any suggestions??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Invite some friends over for a playdate :-)
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• lol, isn't it amazing how we dream of having a baby and playing with her/him, and think of how busy you will be, all for it just to end up in just being bored at home because entertaining a baby that can't crawl yet is SO hard? lol. i know what you're going through. just keep doing what you're doing, it will pass. pretty soon you'll be thinking "why did you learn to walk??" lol. and having a second kid isn't as boring as the first in that stage, cuz the first born will keep you on your toes (ie, "DON'T YOU DARE PUT THAT CRACKER IN HER MOUTH!") LOL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Kids that young don't have a huge attention span. They like change; in activities and scenery. When my baby was 5 months old, I joined a play a group and I went out on "outings" a few times a week. With her in the sling looking at everyone, she was happy as a clam.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 3:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• my lil one loves the wiggle, we also have a cat she loves,hmm..u could take baths with her and help her sit in the bath.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 4:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I always had to put my daughter in the swing with only 1 toy and cartoons on she loved it we just now got rid of the swing and she is 6 months...Try getting a library card and going for story time it also helps and another thing is baby einstein movies! They love them! and it teaches them
    gracie43008

Answer by gracie43008 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• This may sound weird, but my daughter LOVES to smell different herbs. I could keep her entertained like that for HOURS if only we had more variety in herbs lol. It's also very good for their little brains to smell different things at this age. It's definitely worth a try!! Maybe she wants to learn, you could try doing sign language with her, it's not hard, just buy some flash cards or look up the signs on google. Going outside ALWAYS keeps my LO entertained. Also, whenever we run out of things to do, it's always fun to take a bath together and play in the bubbles. You could stimulate her senses and give her different textures to touch, Anabelle likes that too. Have you turned on some upbeat music and danced with her?? Babies usually loooove that. Help her work on sitting up, and rolling over, if she hasnt mastered them yet.

Hope you find something that works!! Think outside the box and try everything you can think of!!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• And i'm not trying to start an argument, just educating you!! But I would stay away from TV, it's best to wait til their at least 2 years old to introduce TV. It tends to rot the brain, and take away from their creativity :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2008