What's wrong with Autism Speaks?

I've heard some not so great comments about this organization. I do not have a child with autism, but I'm very interested in hearing why this organization is so bad.

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 1:25 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• When my son was just diagnosed, I signed up. I got this really useful kit and tons of info. I also get this monthly news letter which is great. I've never heard of people not liking them. They were helpful to me. They also gave me resources I could go to around my area.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 2:23 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Because one of the aims of their organisation is to cure autism.
    I know a few autistic people who don't WANT to be cured. They enjoy the way their brain works, and don't want or see any need to be like everyone else.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:40 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Piskie - what about the people who do want to be cured? What's wrong with that? I guess that's what I don't understand. If you don't want to be cured, then that's okay, but what if you do?
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• no answers but I bumped you because I donate a little now and again on behalf of friends so I am interested to find out too.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Because their aim is to cure ALL autism. They see autism as something negative to be cured... and there are many people with autism who don't WANT to be cured.
    Would you want someone speaking for you who said you were wrong and needed treatment / curing when you were happy with yourself?

There is nothing wrong with helping autistic peoplec ommunicate, helping them deal with the rest of us, and helping the rest of us understand autism. But the idea that autism is something fundamentally wrong with the brain is very insulting to the people who don't WANT to be changed.

There are many, better, organisations who's aims are to integrate, educate, and help, rather than eradicate. Why should something be cured when the people who have it, don't want it to be cured?
    Their organisation says ALL autistics NEED to be cured, and that's not the truth.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 6:27 AM on Feb. 20, 2011