Strictly Pumping?

I want to breast feed this tiem around but I am wondering if I can just pump instead of actually breastfeeding? I had a lot of trouble with my last child latching on and if this one wont I still want to have a way to give the baby breast milk..I have never heard of anyone just pumping and im wondering if its possible?

loveexxamanda

Asked by loveexxamanda at 1:28 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• That sounds like a lot of extra work, but I imagine it is possible. Every baby is different, this one might latch on easier than the first one.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Yes there are moms who di this but it's worth trying to nurse at the breast first.
    You may have had issues in the past but it doesn't mean you will again. And you can get more help, too.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:40 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:41 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It was my experience that baby wanted to drink more milk than what coul be pumped. Babies are better at draining milk than pumps. If you're having problems I would contact La Leche asap.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I pump now for my 3 month old. I had emergency surgery last month and was in the hospital for a week and then a week later I caught an infection and had to be on medication for 2 more weeks. I was pumping and dumping thinking I could go back to breastfeeding no problem. I was wrong he would not latch on for anything!! So now I pump and I don't make enough so he does get some formula to. You can only do the best you can! So I say try to nurse if it doesn't work reach out for help!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:07 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• There are moms who successfully exclusively pump, but supply can be a major issue. I agree that just because you had latch issues before doesn't mean you will again. Make sure to recruit as much help around you as you can- it took us 6 weeks to get the latch right, and it took an army of support, between DH, family, and lactation consultants (yes, plural). You can also look into La Leche League for support (llli.org).
    Babies can more efficiently drain a breast than a pump. There is also a hormone release that happens when the baby latches on that stimulates the let down reflex. It's definitely best to get the baby on the breast, but you can always have pumping as a back up plan. As much breastmilk as your baby can get is always good. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:21 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I strictly pump now, but for the first six months she breastfed. It is definitely harder to pump than to breast feed. I find it helps stimulate let down if I think about my daughter breast feeding. Good luck to you!
    mollyj96

Answer by mollyj96 at 2:31 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I did it with my second. She was preemie and couldn't latch on so she was bottle fed (with breast milk) from day 1. I thought it was very easy to pump but I had the cadillac of breast pumps (rented from the hospital, the store bought ones did nothing).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My friends first didint latch but her second has been breastfed for 6 onths now. I had no choice but to pump for a month with my son and my milk did start to dry. Good luck!
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 4:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My son didn't latch on either and I pumped for 5 months. After 3 months, I was not producing enough and had to supplement with formula, but I kept going figuring some was better than nothing. At 5 months, his demand far exceeded my supply so I stopped pumping and switched to formula.

I agree that you should definitely try to breastfeed because every baby is different. Your next one may have no problems. Pumping was hard and sometimes very inconvenient but I so wanted my son to have the benefits of breastmilk. If you do decide to pump, I would recommend getting a hospital-grade pump.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2011