How old was your kid's first break?

so somehow the stupid baby gate didn't work and sent my daughter tumbling down the stairs. after four hours in a very busy e.r., we found out she has a buckle fracture in her leg. she's not even two yet and now my dear sweet little girl is in a cast. :(
i thought i might not feel so terrible about it if i knew she's not the only one.

ilovemymonsterr

Asked by ilovemymonsterr at 2:32 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My first is so cautious that I'm surprised he ever learned to walk. My second had 5 stitches just below her right eye at 6 months. My youngest broke his finger and sheared off the nail, requiring 4 stitches in June. He was just over 5. With him I'm surprised that it hasn't been worse. He is fearless with only a developing sense of self preservation.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:48 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Ds was 7 months old whe he broke his collar bone rolling off my bed. I wa sitting right there with him and he did this double roll right off the bed. I still feel guilty about it nearly 6 years later. You are not alone :-(
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:34 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Luckily, my almost 3 year old boy hasn't broken any bones yet. He's such a fearless daredevil, I think it's just pure dumb luck that he hasn't seriously injured himself yet.
    sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 3:28 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• i think the worst part is she can't have a bath for a month. (ew!)
    ilovemymonsterr

Comment by ilovemymonsterr (original poster) at 3:58 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• hes 5 now and i am amazed we have only been to the ER once.. he hasnt broken anything yet or gotten stitches yet! yeah! but stuff happens - dont feel bad~ my son has fallen down the stairs before too, he just landed right. btw i highly recommend gymnastics so kids know how to fall and not get hurt.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:09 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• my only recomindation for the bath thing is use baby wipes or a damp wash cloth to help keep her clean. You could also get a trash bag or something simiar with no holes in it and put her leg inside the bag, pull it tight and wrap duct tape around the plasic bag to seal it so no water can get in it. i had sugery on my hand a few times for different reasons, and thats what my dad did so i could shower.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Our daughter was three when her brother bumped into her, knocking her into a doorframe and breaking her arm. The poor kid, she came toddling into the living room with a distinct curve in her arm that shouldn't have been there, wailing her tiny heart out. I'll say this, if a kid has to break a bone, breaking it at 11:00am on a Wednesday morning is a great time to do it, we were seen in the ER immediately. She was given a whole-arm cast for six weeks, and a second shorter cast for another four.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 4:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Knock on wood...my 14 yr old has never broken anything...concussions, sprains...yeah lots.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i've never broken anything either. i would've been completely lost at the hospital if her father hadn't been there.
    ilovemymonsterr

Comment by ilovemymonsterr (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Feb. 22, 2011