How do you feel about when people text or call someone else when you are supposed to be hanging out with them?

Here's a scenario. You and a girlfriend have been planning for weeks to get together and since you don't get out of the house very often you are very excited to get out of the house with a friend. While you are hanging out she is distracted by texting (receiving and sending texts) She also decides to call other friends when you are trying to watch a movie together in your home. How do you feel? Are you ok with this?

dragonqueen

Asked by dragonqueen at 2:49 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• i feel like they have no manners. it is very rude imo. there are exceptions though.. like emergencies.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 3:31 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I feel the same as you OP. I would probably speak up and say something. I think personally that technology has taken away from real talking in so many ways. I don't understand the ppl that sit right next to each other and text back and forth.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I agree, it's rude. There are exceptions to every rule but generally, I'd say something.
    KeithsGirl721

Answer by KeithsGirl721 at 5:23 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It's very rude and immature!!!
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 6:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• In this scenario, I'm not bothered by her receipt of the texts, I'm bothered by her response to them. She's being rude by treating our time together as less important than communicating with other people.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:32 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I agree with all the others. Very rude and disrespectful
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:51 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It's not OK; it's just plain rude. I would say something about it in a nice way so it doesn't happen again.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 9:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My cousin does this and it pisses me off! We only see each other wekly/bi weekly and she can't even be nice enough to put the thing on vibrate

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would be irritated. I'd probably let her know.
    HKing01

Answer by HKing01 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Personally I think that texting or calling others when you are supposed to be hanging out with a friend is disrespectful to others. It makes me feel like I am not worth your time, and that you have better people to talk with. I can understand if you were called by another person and you answer the phone but please don't go calling other people when I have scheduled time with you!

When I get a call from a friend when I am hanging out with others I usually let it go to voice mail or answer to makes sure it isn't an emergency and if it isn't I tell them I am busy and I will call back soon. I think it is common courtesy to give your time to the person you have plans with.
    dragonqueen

Comment by dragonqueen (original poster) at 2:55 AM on Feb. 18, 2011