Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to start a home day care business in January can anyonegive any helpful advice - or websites i can look at for all legal issues involved. Thanks so much

Answer Question

Asked by TaylorBuz at 3:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • You need to make sure you have license to open a daycare. Also make sure you have a fire plan, and if capable handicap access. Good for you. Check with your local town hall, they would be able to answer alot of questions, also you need to have a health inspection certificate.

    Answer by Reggie2 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

  • If you plan on having less than 5 kids ((including your own)) you dont need a license, and some states even mandate that you have a certification to open up a daycare. you need to make sure you have enough square footage per child before you get a license. I know every state is different. I would advise to look into what is required before you start planning. Its easier to start off on the right foot than to rearrange your daycare. You will need to be CPR and first aid certified. You will need to follow the food guide pyramid for children, and plan menus are it. You will need a separate place for the children to eat and sleep. You will also need proper bedding. The facility will need to be child proofed, and you will need a fire and natural disaster plan. Advertising is key. GL..

    Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

  • What state do you live in? I live in OK, and 4 kids is the max that i could have in my house with a license. There is a age ratio to care giver ratio. I have been going to school to get my associates in child Dev, and I currently just applied for my licenses. I had to have CPR, criminal background on me and my hubby, it said anyone who was 18 and older. Smoke detectors in every room that the kids would be in. Fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Cots or Mats, or cribs or playpens for infants. There was quite a bit to it!

    Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

  • i live in new jersey - where did u get your license from? we will have 2 adults so would it be 4 kids to each adult then?

    Answer by TaylorBuz at 4:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

  • OK DHS, Department of Human Services. I pretty sure each state has different laws. You will have 2 adults there at all times?? You can have 7 kids if they are 2 and up with on adult. 4 kids under 2 to one adult. You have to count your kids if they are 5 or younger. But yes depending on the age, it would double if you had two adults. We also have a STARS program, like to rate us.

    Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.