How do you tell if a 2yr olds finger is broke?

My 2yr old son stuck his finger in the door where the hinges are and his finger got smashed when his daddy was leaving about 45 min ago. When I first looked at it it really did look crushed but then it started to get its shape back. But now it is a little swollen and he can move it but he screams and he wont stop messing with it. How do I tell if its broke and how do I get him to stop messing with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Health

• i would proably take him to the er if you even think they maybe
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Get to the doctor. My son hurt his finger last year and we did not think it was broken but x-rays revealed that it was broken and that the ligaments were torn.
    Anonymous

• ER. With children it is really hard to tell how severe or minor an injury can be. I would take him to the ER just to be on the safe side.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I'd take him in for an xray. It's probaby not broken if he can move it, but it's possible. Give him some children's tylenol for the pain mom and take him to the ER.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 3:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Doctor visit! Even if he can wiggle it, there may be a bone fragment, a fracture, or soft tissue damage. Let a doctor look at it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• OK thanks.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, X-rays are good at that.
    Anonymous

• It he okay? was his finger broke?
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 2:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• NO. He just bruised it real bad it is blue and purple but they said he would be fine.
    Anonymous

• Good! So glad!
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 4:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2008