How do you handle a 9 year old?

That thinks he knows it all and gives you attitude about everything? He isn't this way at school in fact his teacher has told us at parent teacher conferences that he is all too willing to help out in the classroom and help others and everything. How can I get him to do this at home without the attitude and yelling?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 7:05 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Let him have consequesnce for those actions. Sit down, talk to him, tell him what you expect, and follow through.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would start by looking back and seeing when things changed. You can also try talking to him and asking him what is wrong and why he thinks he can act this way? He may be acting the way he sees other kids in school act and hasnt gotten the confidence to act that way in school yet. I always tell them I am not one of your little friends at school, I am your mother. You will treat me with the respect I command at home as your mother. If you dont then you will be grounded, lose privileges and what not. Usually it doesnt work at first but when you do ground then it hits home.

Answer by gemgem at 7:30 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Set the house rules and post them. Have consequences for not following them. Be consistent, calm , and loving. Do one on one things with him too so you stay connected. Don't ask if he would like to do X as an activity, tell him that is what you all are going to do that day. Plus praise him when he does things right. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2011