how did we get our last names..

3Grlz1AngelzMom

Asked by 3Grlz1AngelzMom at 1:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Just for Fun

• It depends on the last name. Some came from the occupation the person had (like Smith), some came from who their father was (like Johnson), it just depends on the culture. And many names have been changed and adapted over the years and as people moved around the world.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My maiden name is Graves and I know a looooong time ago my family was a bunch of grave diggers! LOL creepy! So that's how we got our last name.
    bethany_smith

Answer by bethany_smith at 3:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I was told in school that our last names came from the occupations they had or the life skill they were known for.
    zachsmom900

Answer by zachsmom900 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I don't really know, but I do know that hyphenating my last name was NOT an option. It would have made my name rated R.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 8:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2008