2 month old's symptoms....

My 2 1/2 month old has been congested since day 1. His Dr. has been blowing it off as a continual cold. Last appt. I insisted there is something else so he gave me antibiotics. No change after that. So I am gathering up my sons info and going to get a 2nd opinion. In the meantime...I was researching online to see if I could figure it out. Here are his symptoms....
congested, sounds like a horn or snoring when he breaths, gags sometimes, startles awake and screams during naps like he is in pain, rapid weight gain (15lbs right now and in 6 month clothes), can't seem to get enough to eat (he's on Similac sensitive), only sometimes spits up alittle chunks...I think that is pretty much it. Any suggestions on what this might be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly that all sounds pretty normal to me. A lot of babies are noise sleepers, gag some, gain weight fast, startle (It's an infant reflex)and scream at nap time. The only thing I would be worried about is if it was a true 'stuffy' nose. Then you could consider allergies... I could be totally off though so please by all means get a second opinion! I just seem to remember having all of that stuff you mentioned to some degree with my 2.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:41 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• The weight gain is normal. They double their birth weight by 3 months. Get a second opinion, but I also think allergies.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:57 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Like the other people said, weight gain is totally normal, heck my son was in 9 month clothes at 2 months and 12 month clothes by 5 months.

What formula are you using? Could it be a dairy allergy?
    Monpetitechoux

Answer by Monpetitechoux at 7:59 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• sounds like a normal formula fed baby to me the pain during naps is most likely GERD (or reflux) and thats kinda normal at this stage of life
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My main concern is the congestion and breathing. It isn't that he is noisy...it is like he has a hard time. He is our 3rd and my other 2 never had these issues. Even though I know all babies are different....I am a concerned Mommy. I have considered GERD and Allergies. Not sure how to pinpoint which is the cause.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:07 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Does he sound like a goose honking when he's agitated? If so, see an ENT. I'm not sure what it's called, but there's something where a peice in the sinuses is supposed to be rigid, but in a few babies it's not - sometimes it'll rectify itself in the first year, sometimes they need surgery. If it's just a "congestion" sound...pretty normal. He may have some allergies (but there's nothing you can do for allergies in an infant), so maybe if it's an option you could get your entire heating/cooling system cleaned, maybe replaced, air purifiers, hepa filters, rip out your carpets, deep clean furniture, etc, get rid of pets, thigns like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Maybe it could be his tonsils?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:31 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• As an allergic parent, my first instinct is to go there. Can you visit a pediatric allergist? Have you asked your Ped specifically about that as an option? Vomiting with 'chunks', stomach discomfort, stuffy head, breathing issues - all of that could indicate an allergy.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• That gain actually is a lot... double by six months, not three. Triple by one year. I have a feeling this formula isn't sitting well.

Your gut instinct is good... get a second opinion. An allergist is not out of line.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2011