Religion and liberty

“There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven." ~Robert Green

liberty: –noun, plural -ties. 1. freedom from arbitrary or despotic government or control. 2. freedom from external or foreign rule; independence. 3. freedom from control, interference, obligation, restriction, hampering conditions, etc.; power or right of doing, thinking, speaking, etc., according to choice.

Do you feel this quote is true? How does religion affect our liberty?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:40 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Liberty gets trampled on by religion on a daily basis, those who oppose same sex marriage are a perfect example.

Answer by older at 7:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• 3. freedom from control, interference, obligation, restriction, hampering conditions, etc.; power or right of doing, thinking, speaking, etc., according to choice.

Religions are all man-made and they tend to do the above. Not all, but definitely the sects of main three are restrictive and seek to control their followers. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• exactly. It is right versus choice. We have a right to our liberty it is given...we have a choice to believe what we want. That is the beauty of it. No one can force us to change our thinking on our faith.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:49 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Haha, I guess I didn't think of it that way, isaellalecour - it all comes down to one's perception of God. Those who see Him in a tyrannical way are more likely to replicate the kind of behavior/characteristics they believe to be natural to His own. Those of us who reject such a notion and see Him in a more loving kind of way tend to cultivate behaviors and virtues that would line up with what one would expect a loving, gracious God to embody/exhibit. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:57 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I'm not sure that religion is to blame, though it is a good excuse for those who are already inclined to prejudice, if that makes sense. Meaning that people will find whatever they can to justify their prejudices and religion just happens to be a perfect thing to do that with. Because there are just as many of us who are religious who are out fighting for or standing up for the rights of others, the humanity of others, etc, as there are those who would seek to oppress by using religion as justification. So whatever your mentality already is, what you believe in terms of religion ends up going hand in hand with that. And a lot of the time we see this kind of prejudice work its way into a faith system, a certain church or family, where the young inherit the mentality and are taught that religion supports it, when really its only the one interpretation out of many that does. If you get what I mean, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:12 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Muslims want us to live under Sharia law and Christians are constantly trying enforce their dogma.

YES!  I believe that quote is true.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:20 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I agree!! When you worship a tyrant in any spiritual sense, it becomes second nature to desire a tyrant in society. Our spiritual hearts reflect and effect our minds and actions and the greater society.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:48 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I'd say there can be very little peace on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven. As what one worships in heaven one worships in their heart.
    while there ARE peoople who worship a loving, caring, forgiving idea of a god, I wish there were more of them vs. the kind I see described above.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:02 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• IMO. Liberty is a given or earned right. Worshiping God and choosing to live by his standards is a Choice each individual makes for themselves. It is a right versus a choice.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• ‚ÄúThere can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven." ~Robert Green

May I counter with: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." - Thomas Jefferson
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2011