SHould I stay out of it or say something to mil?

It was my husband's birthday. We got back late from dinner but invited my mil who lives next door over. She came with a long face and was very quiet so I asked what's the matter are you tired? Her answer, I 'm just bored.I was like about to tell her to go home then but then her husband was talking about a certain pill she takes and she started yelling so my fil goes I can not take you anymore ,if you continue I will pack my bags and go. Enough! So what do you think? My fil is on many fundraising committees and pres of many associations so he is not home alot. MIl meanwhile is home alot and righ tnow with caregiving for my parents inbetween weeks i found her comment she is bored to be so childish..Should I call her today or visit or just let her put her tantrum?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• She sounds like she is on medication for either bipolar disorder or possible depression.

Instead of calling her "childish" for expressing that she is bored, why not invite her to do things with you during the day. Yes, go visit her. Her hubby (according to you) is gone a lot so she probably is bored. Ask her out to lunch, invite her over for dinner, if you go to church and she has the same faith, get her involved in your church ...

Good Luck ...
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• just visit, call and play nice. her saying that she is bored might just be her saying indirectly that she is lonely. take her out sometime and make her day...she will appreciate it.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 7:50 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would call and inquire how she feels and ignore the tantrums.

Answer by older at 7:50 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• maybe she is bored. if he's not home all the time and she's alone with nothing to do yea i'd say she's bored. maybe take her out to lunch and suggest some groups she can join to get her out of the house more.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:06 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• she sounds lonely to me, I would go over and keep her company or take with me shopping or something..
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 7:57 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It sounds to me like a cry for help. Try to include her when you can, and see if it makes a difference.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:27 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Your father in law sounds very rude to me. He shouldn't be dumping all of her private business out there even though you are family if she doesn't want him to. It rather reminds me of "Ignore her. She is on the rag today." Very dismissive, I would be depressed if I had to spend all my time with a jerk like him.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:34 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I think she was rude to say she was bored but she does sound like you needs to be out of the house more. With that attitude though who would want to be with her? I would chalk it up to a tantrum but drop in for coffee when you can to see if shes doing ok or needs to talk wtihout actually bringing it up.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 8:49 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Sounds sad, she can't drive. He likes to go out. She probably finds his social/fund raising activites superficial and boring. If she could see well I would suggest that she get involved in a quilt guild - nicest ladies ever. And they do lots of donations - big quilts to raffle for fund raising and small quilts for babies, the hopitalized or wheel chair bound, etc. Or knitting (baby hats and blankets) which is nice because you can do most of the work at home and then go show off your creations and gab with others who have the same interest a couple of nights a month. Actually some of my friends are in "homemakers club" that meet during the day. Maybe you can find one for her that you can drop her off at while you do your grocery shopping. She needs something of her own that has nothing to do with him where they will accept her slower speed.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:55 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Just let her have a tantrum.

Answer by gemgem at 7:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2011