How can I get my baby to think of the crib as a positive place?

I have a 15 month old baby girl and she has always slept with us in out bed. Recently we were not only in the process of weaning but we also decided to try a crib as she still wasn't sleeping through the night and I haven't had a full nights rest since she was born. We did the crib bit for 4 days and she refused to sleep. She would dose off due to exhaustion only to wake up a little while later cuz she was sitting upright. She refused to lay down. After the 4 days she got really sick, running a fever, acting like she had an ear ache, even wasn't eating as much. So just while she was sick I moved her back to my bed. She was so exhausted with 4 days of barely any sleep that she fell asleep as soon as she laid next to me. Next thing I knew, it was morning!! 1st full nights rest in 15 months!!!! I felt amazing!! Since then its been crappy. She wont fall asleep unless we are cuddling and if I move a muscle throughout the night she wakes up and starts screaming.
I don't know what to do. She needs to be moved into her own bed but she just isn't getting the hang of it. My husband is currently deployed but I know when he comes home he is not gonna still be wanting her in the bed. She screams now whenever I try to put her in the crib. She is very strong willed and will scream for up to an hour and wine for the following hour.
How do I make the crib a positive place for her to go and fall asleep?
When I did it the first time I would put her in there, leave the room, come back and check on her periodically and reinforce that she was alright. Should I now stay in the room with her or what? I am at a loss of how to even start this and make it a positive event.

1stTimeMommy101

Asked by 1stTimeMommy101 at 8:10 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take the side off the crib and shove it up against your bed. Slowly over time, move her further and further over until she is sleeping in her crib, but, still close. Then, slowly move the crib further away from your bed. Eventually, you can have the crib in her own room and you could sleep on the floor beside it while slowly moving further away until you are out of the room. While it might not take long or ALL these steps to get her there, this is the LONG, SLOW process version.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:19 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I think a crib can be kinda cruel looking if you always slept in a bed. Why don't you buy a toddler bed and try to work with it? If she is over 1-year-old than she will be fine in it. And make sure the temperature of the room is enough warm and there are enough pajamas on her. She got used to the warmth of a person so she will wake up if it is not the same temperature anymore. Stay with her until she fall asleep and put a child monitor in her room. So when she wakes up you can go there and show her, mummy is there for her. Good luck.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 8:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• thanks Adriennfaklya I think you are right, maybe I will skip the crib all together and try a toddler bed! That way I can be close to her without the crib in the way...hopefully that will be less scary! Thanks for your thoughts!! =)
    1stTimeMommy101

Comment by 1stTimeMommy101 (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2011