Well me and my fiance are trying to conceive, I have irregular periods sometimes only every 3 months. I'm terrified my body isn't just working! I would greatly appreciate advice!

I have also been placed on metaformin which hasn't helped...

bethmartin21

Asked by bethmartin21 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• It's really hard to conceive with irregular periods. It might eventually happen on it's own, but your odds are cut significantly by not having a cycle every month. Your best bet is to talk to your doctor and see if you can find out why you aren't having a regular cycle. You may have to try several different things before you find one that works. If the doctor you have now isn't willing to help you then you need a new doctor. Even if you find out your problem is going to be difficult or expensive to deal with, at least you'll know what you are dealing with. I put off talking to my doctor because I dreaded what I might find out, and I wasted a lot of time.
    Anonymous

• Don't panic because that will only stress you out and make ttc even more difficult. I also have irregular periods. I had no idea until we started ttc because I was on bc for 10 years. My doctor prescribed prometrium and it works like a charm in getting my cycle. I'm on it for 14 days and then off for 14 and then back on and off until I don't get my cycle and I'm PG! The great thing about prometruim is that it can't harm the baby if you do end up PG because it is also used in the first trimester to lessen the chances of a miscarriage. Definitely go and see your doctor. Try not to stress. Best of luck!
    russej1

Answer by russej1 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Since your on Metaformin, have you been diagnosed with Poly cystic Ovary Syndrome. That is what I have and in order to get pregnant they had to give me Clomid which helps you ovulate. Which was successful for me. I would ask your OB/GYN. Hope that helped. If you need to talk some more, just let me know. I'll try to help.
    Loviepoohbear

Answer by Loviepoohbear at 7:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• i would recommend seeing a fertility specialist. i had the same difficulties, and it turned out i have pcos (polycystic ovarian syndrome). with the help of metformin, clomid and four rounds of iui (intrauterine insemination) i was able to conceive my twins. good luck!
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2008