Out sick

Have your kids missed a lot of school this winter?
Mine have missed several days with stomach bugs and now the flu.

peachwine

Asked by peachwine at 8:23 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes. My 6 yr old has been out of school off and on since Feb 4th. She had only missed 2 days before that. She caught the flu at her bday party we think, and then caught a double ear infection which was a complication of the flu. Our school has the flu, strep throat and ear aches running around the school. Id say around 30% of the school is out. I got a note yesterday saying no one is allowed back with even a low grade fever because it is so bad. In fact I am on my way in 5 min to a follow up with our pediatrician who is coming in early to see my dd. My dd's immune system got such a kick they dont want to risk her being exposed to anything else.

Answer by gemgem at 8:26 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Knock wood we have been fairly decent this winter. Still worse than most, but not as bad as it could be. I think DD has missed 5 days total this school year, and the boys 3 each, but they either got sick in the middle of the week or on a short week. I have been the worst. I've had a cold and/or sinus infection on and off since the beginning of January.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:32 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Yep, I've just had 2 children come down with an awful stomach bug.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:35 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My son has been out for close to 2 1/2 weeks total since this semester started. Mostly fevers, no stomach bugs yet. Poor kiddos, I hate when they are sick.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:11 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• No, thank goodness. My preschoolers have each missed 3-4 days (but that's all year, not just this winter) and my older 2 have only missed 1 day each.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• my girls ages 9,7,and6 had been sick for about two weeks and just the normal bug but all seem to be better now. Kids seem to pick up everything out there and can not wait till summer when they will not be sick at all. Hang in there.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 10:54 AM on Feb. 18, 2011