Ab Workout

Anyone have any good routines that do NOT involve laying on your back. Doing crunches are out of the question for me, but I'd like to give my midsection a good workout.

MrsDAP

Asked by MrsDAP at 8:30 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I do the Ab Ripper from P90X. You dont lay on your back but lean back on your hands and do like a bicycle type of motion with your legs.
    smushy79

Answer by smushy79 at 8:42 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Can you do push-ups? Push-ups---even the girly ones on your knees---are a great abdominal developer.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Yep, push ups are no problem. Did a few sets of them last night.
    MrsDAP

Comment by MrsDAP (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Also, if you do a plank hold, or a plank-hold with diagonal knee-pulls, those will work you out too.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:56 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• planks 3mins a day total (break it down into 30 secs a time if you need to, I do 1 min 3 times myself)

Get a roller board and while down on your knees place your forearms down onto the rollerboard. allow your body to roll forward as far as you can and then use your core to pull yourself back. For a more intense workout instead of holding the rollerboard with your forearms use your hands with your arms straight.

then using the same rollerboard do that exercise only with the rollerboard under your knees and your forearms (or just hands as a more intense version) on the ground. Allow the board to roll backwards and then pull it back.

I do 2 or 3 sets of 15.

:)
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 5:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• W/an exercise ball, get in the pushup position, have the ball in the crook where your feet and legs/ankles meet. roll ball up to abs and back down to crook. Repeat......3 sets of 10
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• You can also do some Pilates moves that are standing, or side bends. Those will keep you off your back. Check out sparkpeople.com, and look at the exercises for the core. Lots of ideas there!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I personally like the Slim in 6 series. There is an awesome workout called Slim in 6-pack. It had me doing ab exercises that I never even knew existed! You can feel the burn, but the burn feels soooo good! If you have any questions about the program, let me know. I'd be more than glad to answer any questions that you have!
    KristyB

Answer by KristyB at 8:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Plank holds with leg raises
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011