Question about Interventions--Do they stop if "they don't have time"?

Background-my DH asked his ex (BM) if SD (stepdaughter) could get tested for ADHD and LD back in Nov 2008. After getting recommendations for the testing from our family pediatrician and BM still saying no, DH took the issues to Court. In Oct 2009, it was court ordered that BM follow through with recommendations from SD's primary care doc. In Nov 2009, her primary care doc also gave the recommendation. BM put off setting the appt until May 2010, when my DH wrote to her attorney saying if she wouldn't set the appt, he would be happy to do so. Testing was done in Sept, with results coming in in Oct--severe ADHD Combined Type. DH immediately asked for BM to allow him to request the school to start their evaluation process. She ignored. Finally agreed once the Special Education director brought to her attention how poorly SD was doing, and that DH had told her that he wants the eval but that he can't make that decision without BM, per their Court Order. The Special Education Director started interventions in the classroom for SD in December.

DH emailed BM this week asking what interventions SD was on and if she was still doing a reading intervention (they'd send books home with her, and then she'd test on them in class). BM said that the director "doesn't have time for SD" so she stopped giving her interventions. My DH emailed the director to confirm this (neither of us believe her, since the director and the teacher are pushing to get SD help, and BM is blowing them, and DH, off). He didn't say that BM said she stopped because she didn't have time, he just asked what interventions SD was doing. We want to make sure that SD gets the help she needs, and if BM told them to stop, DH is going to ask that they continue, even if it's just on my MIL's weekends with SD (we are in Japan with the military, so my MIL has every other weekend with my SD until we return).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Your husband needs to contact the school, and find out what is going on.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:55 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• first off i think its great even being that far away that your dh is so invovled in his daughters life.......second i think he needs to contact the school because i dont believe they can legaly say that once those type of services have been put in place the only time i think they can stop is if the parent ask for them to stop or, the child inproves (and they ususal have a meeting to talk about the improvements)
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Interventions have to be in place for 6 to 9 months I believe, and follow up meetings are REQUIRED as part of the process(parents are not always involved in follow ups). Interventions aren't just done by a SPED director either. The regular classroom teacher would have some in place too. It sounds like BM is not being honest. Call the school. There is no way a teacher would say "I don't have time to continue the steps of intervention." A teacher CAN'T say that. Many pieces of intervention can be small things, included in daily lesson planning for the benefit of select students.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Once a learning issue has been identified, the school is required by federal law to provide intervention.
    I'm betting that BM is not being honest because a parent can opt out of special ed services, even if there is an IEP or 504 plan in place.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2011