Have you ever worked in a restaurant? Have you gone to work when you were sick?

Librarylady60

Asked by Librarylady60 at 8:49 AM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• I used to work at Sonic and I would get my hours cut if I called in sick. If I was physically ill at work my boss would think I was faking it, get pissed off and send me home.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 8:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• A virus can be contagious as much as two weeks before symptoms appear.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:53 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• i've been to work all this week sick. sinus infection. runny nose, sneezing, ... i would call out if i was vomitting or diarrhea.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Depended on how sick I thought I was, and if I thought I was contagious.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:58 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• we get our hours cut too..and my boss wants a doctors note if you call out. i'm not about to go to the doctor and pay 50 dollars for them to tell me i have a head cold.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I have not, but hubby has.
    You'd be surprised the amount of people who work with the flu..... its all politics in a restaurant. Like Proudmom said.... hours would get cut if called out sick. They (management) makes it difficult to be honestly sick
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 9:00 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• We used to own a restaurant and told our servers to never come in if they were legitimately sick. And we would send them home if they did. We had a great staff and they were given as many hours as we could give them if they wanted to work. None of them abused being "out" sick.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I always hated it as a manager, when someone would come in sick! Then, I would always get sick too!
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• yea I have,if I have a cold I usually chug a cup of oj with 1/4 tsp of cayenne it warms the body and helps clear out all the crud.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• When I owned a restaurant, I had a problem with employees coming in sick because they didn't want to miss the tips, but I would send them home. It became increasingly common for an employee to tell me another employee was sick, because they didn't want to get sick themselves.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:32 AM on Feb. 18, 2011