Can an ear infection cause a terrible cough?

I just got back from the pediatrician because my son has had runny nose, terrible cough and slight fever. She said it was a double ear infection. Do you think thats all it is? I didn't know an ear infection could cause such a "hacking" cough. I believe what my dr. tells me but, she did not hear him cough.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Kids' Health

• The cold is normal and not treatable. The doctor probably only mentioned the ear infections because the require treatment. My daughter has ear infections and coughs often. The doc checks her lungs and if she sounds fine, doesn't mention anything about a cold.
    Anonymous

• You usually get an ear infection after you get a cold. It's when fluid builds up behind the ear drum and has no escape....then it gets infected. My kids always have a cold when they have ear infections.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• ALso, the doctor doesn't need to hear the cough. If it's a potential problem, he/she would hear it in the lungs.
    Anonymous

• The cough my be being caused by a nasty post nasal drip. That same drip may be what caused the fluid to build up behind the ear drum. It is a domino effect. It's kind of like when my grandson gets a cold..almost always his asthma goes ballistic. The URI triggers the asthma. Same kind of thing
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• In my son's case it did. Not only was his cough bad but his breathing was also labored. I thought he was having a major asthma attack from the way he was hacking. We went to the ER. No. A raging ear infection. He also had congestion with all his ear infections as well.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My daughter always had a nasty cough when she got an ear infection. It would drain down her throat and cause irritation especially at night.
    Anonymous